Microsoft sets record for quietest anechoic chamber!

rasputin1963

• Moderators

Yeah, the big one we have at the university where I worked. It made my ears "match" in that for the few minutes I was in there I felt "normal" in the sense that both my ears felt the same. I lost all the hearing in my right ear a few years ago to barotrauma.

Terry D.

• Members

I was in one with a class in the early 80's at one of the tech joints around here, Rockwell in Huntington Beach, it seems to me, where they test rocket subsystems. Not sure how the chamber fit in. Not sure of its rating. But it was plenty quiet. Interesting hearing playback in it. I think that was part of the point of going there, come to think of it. ;)

A record-setting -20.3 dB. Now that's QUIET.

Very quiet indeed! As a point of reference, a well designed and built recording studio is typically in the 20-30dB ambient noise floor range.

Have you ever sat in an anechoic chamber? Did you like the sensation.... or did you find it unnerving?

Yes - there was one at a research lab I used to work at. Yes, it's a strange feeling. You can actually hear weird stuff from your own body, like your heart beating, that you normally don't notice because it's masked by environmental sounds.

Archived