"I say to students,

thankyou

• Members

If you have a choice between being an artist and being something else, you should be something else, because if you really are an artist, you don't have a choice."

...Anthony (Tony) Jones, Interim President of The Kansas City Art Institute

Interesting perspective. I've paid the bills doing many other things, but music was always my passion.

I think there's something to what he's trying to say. A true artist really has no choice in the matter - many of them probably can do other things, but what drives them is their art. They could no more "not do it" than they could change the color of their eyes - it's part of who they are at the fundamental level, not just something they decided to do. They may be able to do other things, and may even be forced by circumstances to do those things for a living, but again, it's not who they are.

If you're facing a career decision as a young person, and an MBA is as viable and attractive of a career path to you as a master's degree in music performance, you're probably better off taking the path that leads to the MBA - at least from a financial and career opportunity standpoint.

• Members

All so true, true, true. Art is wild because it contains elements of many human endeavors: psychology, architecture/drafting, spirituality, physical coordination. When you are an artist, you dwell in that "meta-world" of emotion and culture... It's a privilege and a responsibility. But I don't think every working person goes to work thinking about the larger cultural "collective unconscious" that we musicians/artists do. I do understand why so many artists in history have gone mad.

I am an artist. But I do other things that I (mostly) enjoy to pay the bills.

And you know how much I personally appreciate what you do for a living Ken... but honestly, if you decided to pursue photography or music for a living, I would totally understand that. They're your passions, and you've got quite a gift for them. :cool2:

• Members

Because I am tied into the M.I. side of things, I see so many of my peers who are musicians. They are musician's first (by love) and work in the Music Industry because they have the same bad habits as most people (like to live indoors, like to eat three meals a day, like to drive a car, etc.)

Sometimes just being a musician for the "love" of being a musician isn't enough to pay the mortgage, and heck, the last time I lived in a VW van as a musician, it sucked!

So, I get where the guy is coming from. But there are other ways to parlay your love for music into making a living.

D

Archived