Read my report from No.1 Guitar Center in Hamburg, Germany

• CMS Author

BC-Rich-controls.jpg

I think the controls look really intriguing. I still haven't had the chance to put it though its paces, so I have no idea of what these controls do or how it sounds. It just looks great in a retro-futuristic way.

Does it come with a manual? Does any electric guitar?

Mats, the controls make a lot of sense... once you see what they are. :D

http://www.themusiczoo.com/blog/2011/bc-rich-guitars-controls-layout-diagrams/

Master volume

Three-way pickup selector (in between the round knobs)

Two tone controls

Varitone control (chicken head knob)

Two of the mini toggle switches are for coil tap - the third one (closest to the tone knobs) puts one of the pickups out of phase with the other and will only work when both pickups are selected.

I always thought the position of the two coil tap switches should be reversed from the way they come stock, which puts the one for the bridge pickup "forward" (closer to the varitone knob) of the one for the neck pickup.

I've never owned a Mockingbird, but I've always admired them - it's really the only BC Rich model that ever really appealed to me.

• Members

#1 Guitar Center (I wonder what Guitar Center thinks of that name...) has done those great displays at Frankfurt with all the cool vintage guitars, but I don't recall seeing them last year.

Anyway, you had a caption that said: The owner of No.1 Guitar Center, Thomas Weilbier, sat down to talk to me about guitar in general, the problems surrounding present legislation about Brazilian rosewood and the MI business in general.

I'd be interested if you could summarize those comments...

• Members
Anyway' date=' you had a caption that said: The owner of No.1 Guitar Center, Thomas Weilbier, sat down to talk to me about guitar in general, the problems surrounding present legislation about Brazilian rosewood and the MI business in general.

I'd be interested if you could summarize those comments...

Hi Craig,

If I got it right it seems like the main problem with Brazilian rosewood is that a CITES certificate issued in the US is not valid in Europe and vice versa. This means that artists having brought vintage guitars or boutique builds with Brazilian rosewood somewhere have had their instruments impounded by customs around Europe. In Germany alone there are 100+ impounded instruments waiting for a decision what's going to happen to them and if their owner's will face criminal charges.

There is also the collector's market to consider. If a US collector can't sell to Europe and Japan, it means a radically changed and restricted market which may have an effect on pricing of vintage guitars. Those who bought to play may not be worried but those who bought as a financial investment are worried. Especially those who bought when the market was at the top.

Thomas is working hard at finding ways to make it work for everyone. One idea is to issue a passport for a guitar so it can travel.

Cheers,

Mats N

Archived