Anyone Else Finding iOS 9 Kind of...Squirrely?

Anderton

• Members

Got the 9.0.2 update and all that, but sometimes my iPad just turns off by itself, sometimes there are massive delays, that sort of thing. It's an iPad 2 so I don't know if iOS 9 is the issue, or whether this is a gentle hint from Apple that I need to give them more money for newer hardware.

• Members

Only problem I'm having (so far) is that there is a large "unread email" count for one of my email accounts that I can't make go away. Wasn't fixed in the update this morning. Nothing major---just a cosmetic thing more than anything. I just have to remember that 1,693 means 0.

That' my iPhone 6. My iPad 2. Used it at a gig Thursday night (for OnSong and X32 monitor mixing) and had no problems. ​

Was bummed that the Picture-in-Picture app feature I was hoping to get with the download only works for newer iPads though, apparently.​

• Members
Yeah, my inbox showed a few over 4 billion unread emails 😉

IOS 8 pretty much ruined my ipad2 and I had to buy an air. Was IOS9 an improvement on your ipad2?

How did 8 ruin your iPad2? I don't remember any big issues with it. Then again, how long has it been out? I've only had that iPad for a couple of years. It might have shipped with 8 on it. I don't remember now.

I don't notice any big improvements with 9 as of yet. But I don't use it much except for the 2 apps I mentioned and a bit of web surfing in hotel rooms. I probably wouldn't have downloaded it at all (or would have at least waited until a few fixes were released as I usually do) except I was hoping for that picture in picture thing. Which I didn't get

maybe time for an Air soon...

• Members
IOS 8 pretty much ruined my ipad2 and I had to buy an air.

Well, their strategy worked. I know my iPad 2 is long in the tooth...is there any way to roll back an iOS to when things were snappy?

I'm going to see what the Surface Pro 4 is like compared to the iPad Pro, but if I end up liking Windows 10, I'll probably jump the tablet ship from iPad to Surface.

• Members

Well, their strategy worked. I know my iPad 2 is long in the tooth...is there any way to roll back an iOS to when things were snappy?

I'm going to see what the Surface Pro 4 is like compared to the iPad Pro, but if I end up liking Windows 10, I'll probably jump the tablet ship from iPad to Surface.

I love my now-ancient Android 2.3 phone (possibly because I no longer let it update some stuff and revert it if it gets updated) but I'm really frustrated by the crappy service I've got out of my Google-branded Nexus 7 tablet (the original 2012 model which worked great until near the end of the 4.x cycle it was born in -- when it started turning to crap, worse with each update, it seemed at times, with 'fixes' barely fixing much of anything). One of the reasons I went for a Google-branded device was because I thought that might ease difficulties going forward. =/

So, I've found myself thinking the formerly unthinkable -- about Windows for my next tablet. You know, after the permanently mounted battery in my Nexus can't even take a charge any more. =/

(I knew it was permanently mounted and that you couldn't add SD storage -- but I did NOT realize what an incredible PITA the second would be almost from the word go; we'll see how things go with the battery. It's hard to tell whether the clunked up OS is sucking down battery faster or if the charge just doesn't last as long.)

"System backups" in the conventional sense on an iPad are pretty much a non-starter as far as I know. :idk:

My wife's new iPhone 6 Plus has iOS 9 on it... and it has done a few weird things. A few minutes ago, I got a Facetime call from her, and she has no idea how it happened or why - but she wasn't trying to Facetime me from the other room. :lol:

• Members
"System backups" in the conventional sense on an iPad are pretty much a non-starter as far as I know. :idk:

My wife's new iPhone 6 Plus has iOS 9 on it... and it has done a few weird things. A few minutes ago, I got a Facetime call from her, and she has no idea how it happened or why - but she wasn't trying to Facetime me from the other room. :lol:

Gotta watch out for that... There was a news story about, I think, a small town mayor who had just read some good news for the town and he immediately went to Tweet the good news -- only somehow he included an on-the-fly photo as he tweeted -- of a pair of feet on a tile floor with some trousers down around them and the walls of a bathroom stall to the side.

The first tweet back was from someone who asked, "Are you pooping?"

• Members

You know, after the permanently mounted battery in my Nexus can't even take a charge any more. =/

I will buy a device without a user-replaceable battery only if forced. My 2005 Creative Labs Zen player, which has a replaceable battery, is still a productive member of my electronic device society. My daughter's iPod circa 2005...not so much.

I can envision the day when I bring my iPad into the Apple store to have the battery replaced. "Sorry, sir, we're going to have to confiscate your iPad. It is no longer representative of Apple's product line." :)

Gotta watch out for that... There was a news story about, I think, a small town mayor who had just read some good news for the town and he immediately went to Tweet the good news -- only somehow he included an on-the-fly photo as he tweeted -- of a pair of feet on a tile floor with some trousers down around them and the walls of a bathroom stall to the side.

The first tweet back was from someone who asked, "Are you pooping?"

I haven't done it with my iPad and iPhone, but I do keep the camera on my computer covered up at all times. You never know when someone might want to try to hack it... and I wouldn't want anyone to see me posting in my underwear... ;)

• Members

I haven't done it with my iPad and iPhone, but I do keep the camera on my computer covered up at all times. You never know when someone might want to try to hack it... and I wouldn't want anyone to see me posting in my underwear... ;)

Oh, yeah, I keep a Post-It stuck on the back of the Nexus (under its leather case/easel, best accessory ever, saved it from a corner hit on concrete) and then folded over the camera. For the good of the Internet.

Archived