YouTube dude teaches you how to make seamless loops.... with convolution?

• Members

Actually, I have no idea what he's doing...it seems like he got the loop right in the beginning when he was showing what he wanted to loop. :confused2: I'll look at it again, although I don't have audition. I'd probably have to kludge something together with a convolution reverb to convolve the two signals.

But on a related subject, if you want to make pads that loop seamlessly, I wrote an article about how to do that.

• Members

Heh heh, I also thought his very first attempt was just fine. confused.giflol.gif Yep, cross-fading sometimes works, but not always. I tried a crossfade last week, and for the life of me, I couldn't get rid of the "hiccup". In fact I had to just abandon that project altogether.

• Members

I'm with Craig... I don't really get why he has to go through all that. I get that he's trying to calculate the precise loop time, I get that he's using convolution to create exaggerated, easy to see peaks so he can precisely extract the loop time, but it seems awfully roundabout -- and, of course, what he ends up with sounds just a wee bit short -- so there would definitely appear to be a flaw in his thinking -- and I would say that that flows from his assumption that the loudest peaks are always at the same place in the overall rhythm or represent the true beat. And, of course, if your source material is from off the grid, any kind of syncopation or human feel at all is going to mess with your 'scientific' loop period 'extraction.'

It's been quite a while since I was creating loops but I always did it by ear. That's where the rubber hits the road... poor choice of metaphor notwithstanding.

• Members

I hate time-glitched loops. I know some people thought they were somehow 'hip' at points in the past... (It reveals process, dude!) But when I hear a mix or remix with a loop that's out of time it drives me crazy -- like when some Nashville tin ear would tune a 'country' vocal for correction in such a way that you'd get normal sounding vocal spiked with weird robo-chipmunk noises. I feel like screaming (and sometimes do), Can't you morons HEAR?!?

Remember those Blue Note Remixed albums that came out? I only have heard maybe 3 or 4 of those that didn't just drive me crazy because the remixer couldn't get the time right (and/or sometimes the key... more 'revealing process' nonsense). I hate that series, by and large -- even though I'm not necessarily opposed to remixing past classics -- but, you know, even if you can't come anywhere close to the genius of the original, it still shouldn't sound musically, rhythmically awkward.

• Members
Yep' date=' cross-fading sometimes works, but not always. I tried a crossfade last week, and for the life of me, I couldn't get rid of the "hiccup". In fact I had to just abandon that project altogether.[/quote']

If you follow the steps in my article exactly, you will always be able to loop a pad perfectly.

• Members

Blue, check out the Amazon review I did some years back for the album BIG BAND REMIXED, which was just that: beautiful old WWII records given a techno beat:

By david lincoln brooks on September 15, 2007 Format: Audio CD I'm not excited by these remixes, though I have very much enjoyed remixes from the bebop/cool 1950's and the R&B/Funk 1960's.

These recordings originally came out around the Depression and WWII, and were originally intended to offer a tender hand of support to the radio listener or dancehall dancer during some lean and uncertain times. Intimacy, warmth, patriotism and encouragement were key.

Now, to hear them all filtered and treated and chopped..... sounds, I dunno, disrespectful to me, almost unpatriotic even! (Never thought I'd feel this way). A sort of flippant, coked-out, po-mo ultra-coolness permeates these songs... and it isn't working for me (though, as I say, it DOES work on other genres or manifestations of American pop music...)

Am I saying that 1940's Big Band is a little bit.... sacred? Yeah, I guess that's what I'm saying.

Archived