Interesting Video on Where Inspiration Comes From

Anderton

• Members
Most of the things I see them doing in this video would certainly not inspire me musically.

I first sit at the piano or hold a guitar in my lap and try to play notes that sound good while not playing notes that sound bad.

As good a guideline as any...that's me when it comes to guitar solos smile.png

But as to the subject matter in the video itself, I often find that just fooling around with anything - loops, drum machine patterns, a chord progression - ends up tumbling into something. I'm also totally in agreement with those who record all kinds of things into their phones. I've had several songs come out of some random snippet that ended up on a phone.

• Members

Hmmn? I thought I deleted that post.

My initial reaction to the video was it was a bunch of people sitting around pushing buttons and turning knobs and plugging in patch cords etc.... (All technical things that can end up hindering creativity in my experience) I have little patience for fighting with technology when I feel inspired.

But yeah I've certainly been inspired by drum machine patterns and acid loops and keyboard patches and effects and all kinds of sounds and have even created music based on them. But usually I like to compose the music first on piano or guitar then experiment with technology when recording.

• Members

You did, but not before I quoted it. Want me to delete the reference?

My initial reaction to the video was it was a bunch of people sitting around pushing buttons and turning knobs and plugging in patch cords etc.... (All technical things that can end up hindering creativity in my experience) I have little patience for fighting with technology when I feel inspired.

I didn't get the sense they were fighting it, but exploring it and the exploration is what led them to getting ideas.

But yeah I've certainly been inspired by drum machine patterns and acid loops and keyboard patches and effects and all kinds of sounds and have even created music based on them. But usually I like to compose the music first on piano or guitar then experiment with technology when recording.

Yes, that definitely works...for me it's both. I sit down at the recorder with a guitar or keyboard, with a bunch of loops and drum patterns waiting in the weeks for support.

It can be a real impediment sometimes, but it really depends on where you're coming from. If sounds inspire you, experimentation with different setups and configurations and patterns can lead to inspiration which can lead to new riffs and compositions.

If you just have a quick idea that you want to get down FAST, that's where the iPhone comes in - hum it out while recording it, then go back to the idea and work on it later. It's quick and immediate, with nothing to impede getting the idea down quickly.

Archived