Brand-New 'Naddy Road Studios' Video Tour

Mark L

• Members

Didn't have any work on today, so I popped into the loft with my camera and filmed a guided tour of my little studio

Felt a bit arty, so I shot it in black-and-white

Might be interesting for those of you who have proper studios to see how the other half live ;)

[video=youtube;8dk7UqIOAp8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dk7UqIOAp8

• Members
Very kewl' date=' Marxter. You've got some fab kit. All so organized-- a Virgo to the core! Nice to hear your voice again. That handheld recorder looks kewl. Does it have internal mics? Or do you run your big external mics into it? What type of files does it record to?[/quote']

I'm too organised, Ras. It drives Mrs. deSad (or Mrs. Nads, if you prefer) up the wall

Yes, it has internal mics. They're at the top and kind of point across each other, if that makes sense. But there are inputs for external mics as well. It records to either mp3 or WAV files

Here's a link to it: https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun09/articles/zoomh4n.htm

• Members

Nice. The music you make is quite impressive given the gear you have to work with. It's true: It isn't what you have, it's what you do with it that matters.

Does it get cold up there in the winter? I used to have a basement studio in my old place, and I spent 8 years off and on spraying urethane foam into the spaces between the rocks in the foundation whenever I felt a cold breeze. Eventually I got all the holes filled. :)

• Members
Nice. The music you make is quite impressive given the gear you have to work with. It's true: It isn't what you have, it's what you do with it that matters.

Does it get cold up there in the winter? I used to have a basement studio in my old place, and I spent 8 years off and on spraying urethane foam into the spaces between the rocks in the foundation whenever I felt a cold breeze. Eventually I got all the holes filled. :)

Thanks, mate

Yep, it's freezing cold in winter and boiling hot in summer. Spring and Autumn are really the only times I can record in comfort

• Members
I never forget that "Money" by The Flying Lizards-- a huge hit-- was recorded in someone's living room. To say nothing of Joe Meek's setup. :philthumb:

Yeah, I remember when that single came out. It was so utterly different from the original and The Beatles' version. Maybe that's why it was a hit

• Members

You do realize, of course, that by calling yourself the ribald name of Naddy Road, you are announcing to your listenership that you work blue. Which is perfectly cool. As Robert Crumb said, "Not all art is for children.", and he's right. But if someone wants to commission a song from you, aimed at Mum, Dad and the Kids (and that's where the REAL s**tload of money is) they might think twice about such a ribald name. You might be (and I think you are) far enough along in your songwriting career to start positioning yourself for a more "robust" market. What if Disney or Pixar rang you up on the phone?

Just a thought. I wouldn't DREAM of saying this to you if I hadn't known you for a long time (ten years now, bro') and weren't very much "in your corner".

• Members

I'm under no illusions that anyone is going to commission me for any songs, Ras

I just write songs as and when I feel like it, and I write them for myself. If other people like them, that's great. If not, that's fine, too

So it doesn't really matter if I call my 'studio' Naddy Road Studios (obvious Beatles pun) or Lofty Ambitions Studios or whatever. And it matters not if I call myself MarkydeSad or Saul T. Nads or whatever. I drive for a living. I write songs as a hobby :)

• Members

You tell 'em Mark. There's a hell of a lot of crap that sells that doesn't come close to the quality of the songs you write.

As an aside...The Beatles version of "Money" was the first song I sang in a garage band...just because our singer didn't show up. They told the singer not to bother coming back. Took me six months to figure out how to play bass and sing at the same time. I think it caused the Great Acne Breakout of '68 for me.

• Members
You tell 'em Mark. There's a hell of a lot of crap that sells that doesn't come close to the quality of the songs you write.

As an aside...The Beatles version of "Money" was the first song I sang in a garage band...just because our singer didn't show up. They told the singer not to bother coming back. Took me six months to figure out how to play bass and sing at the same time. I think it caused the Great Acne Breakout of '68 for me.

Thanks for your kind words, AJ

I've never been able to play bass and sing at the same time. It's like rubbing your stomach and tapping your head. Tricky! Therefore, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din. You got acne in '68? I was full of it in '78. We are brothers...

Archived