Why do Tascam's interface buffer choices say-

bookumdano4

• CMS Author
High' date=' mid, low, real good, lukewarm, better than the other one you picked......? I want numbers!!!!. [/quote']

You didn't specify which interface or which buffer. Most audio interfaces that connect to the computer via USB have a buffer on the USB port as well as a data buffer as part of the driver that's between the operating system and the audio data input and output. It's the latter buffer that we all know and love that's expressed as either samples of milliseconds. The USB buffer may be fixed (and they don't tell you how many milliseconds it is), it may not be there at all if the company is really optimistic and has a good driver, or it may have user accessable settings. Those settings are usually offered as "high/medium/low latency."

As a rule, if the USB buffer is adjustable, when the driver is first installed, it's set for the most conservative size (highest latency) so you'll be able to get sound in and out of it no matter how slow or un-optimized your computer is. You can reduce that latency setting until it chokes, just like you'd adjust the data buffer size/latency.

• Members

While Tascam is the subject...This has nothing to do with the conversation but obviously there are some Tascam savvy types in here.

I'm hoping around Christmas to have enough leftover bonus money to get myself a Portastudio type thing. Using a computer to record is working somewhat...But being a creature of the old 4 track cassette days...I'd really like to have some actual, physical sliders to play with. Although both my Tascam decks have expired, I still have faith in the brand and I've been checking out(Online) a Tascam 32 track Portastudio. $499 from Sweetwater.

Has anybody had any experience with these?

How do you import what you record on them to a computer so I could bring this stuff to my online collaborators? It says it has a USB port but does it output in Wavs? Could I take a track out of it, put some online effects on it and put it right back in the PortaStudio?

It doesn't seem to have many ins and outs looking at the back panel.

Looking for feedback here. Would there be other DAW's I should be considering in the same price range?

The Tascam 24 track is a $100 cheaper, but I'm thinking the newer model would be the better model.

Anybody??

• Members
While Tascam is the subject...This has nothing to do with the conversation but obviously there are some Tascam savvy types in here.

I'm hoping around Christmas to have enough leftover bonus money to get myself a Portastudio type thing. Using a computer to record is working somewhat...But being a creature of the old 4 track cassette days...I'd really like to have some actual, physical sliders to play with. Although both my Tascam decks have expired, I still have faith in the brand and I've been checking out(Online) a Tascam 32 track Portastudio. $499 from Sweetwater.

Has anybody had any experience with these?

How do you import what you record on them to a computer so I could bring this stuff to my online collaborators? It says it has a USB port but does it output in Wavs? Could I take a track out of it, put some online effects on it and put it right back in the PortaStudio?

It doesn't seem to have many ins and outs looking at the back panel.

Looking for feedback here. Would there be other DAW's I should be considering in the same price range?

The Tascam 24 track is a $100 cheaper, but I'm thinking the newer model would be the better model.

Anybody??

I looked into this a while ago and ended up buying the Tascam 24-track. Reason being that the 32-track has 8 mono & 12 stereo tracks, whereas the 24-track has 12 mono & 6 stereo tracks. Since I tend to use more mono than stereo tracks, I got the 24

Didn't like it, so ended up selling it. But that's just me. I've never got on with any Tascam multitrack I've ever owned. But each to his own - you might like it. It was easy enough to operate but I just preferred the sound of my trusty Zoom 16-track

I only recorded one song with it. Made a mess of the vocals. I tried to record them with my head in a padded box. I kid you not! They sound muffled. Here it is, if you're interested: The Dance of Hate

Edit: By the way, this is the exact one that I had - http://tascam-ca.com/product/dp-24/

• Members

If you aren't hung up on Tascam, check out Zoom. The Zoom R16 and R24 are pretty sweet. I have the 24 and prefer it because of track sequencing functionality.

It also plays well as an interface, controller, rudimentary sampler and a standalone mixer of sorts.

The only downside to me is the main output is -10 instead of +4.

Worth consideration, IMO

• CMS Author

As someone who still works with a console, I can tell you that for multitrack recording and mixing, when it comes to ease of use, there's absolutely no substitute. And ease-of-use (rather, the lack thereof) is the major complaint about any of the current crop of inexpensive digital integrated multitrack recorder/mixers. They all sound OK, they can all export and import WAV files at standard resolution and sample rate.

They all attempt to make them do too many things with too few controls. That's how they can be made so inexpensive. They're OK for sketching out songs where you you just record a few tracks and balance them for a reasonable mix. But it's really hard work and can be frustrating to someone who's learning how to make a creative mix when you have to find every control that you use.

Akai was probably the best of the bunch, and they left that business behind when they couldn't afford to compete with the lower priced TASCAMs and Zooms. There were a couple of decent Rolands, too. I can't give you model numbers, but you might see if you can find something that's 10 years old, find a manual for it, read it, and see if it makes sense to you.

• Members

Thanks Mike...You've scared me off a bit I suppose. I'm looking for a way to get back to more familiar formats than the PC swampland. Perhaps the digital PortaStudio things aren't any easier than what I'm using now..A small behringer board into a Audigy card into Audacity/Reaper. Just have the free version of Reaper and it's about to expire and I'm gonna let it.

Archived