Great Vocals from Not-So-Great Vocalists

Anderton

• Members

Comments in another thread got me thinking about this, but I didn't want to hijack that thread, so...

There are a lot of singers who have become popular yet don't have what people would consider "good" voices. Some immediate examples come to mind:

Bob Dylan

Lou Reed

Tom Waits

Jimi Hendrix

David Byrne

Neil Young

Mark Mothersbaugh

There's a great quote from David Byrne: "The better the singer's voice is, the harder it is to believe what they're saying. So I turn my weakness into my strength."

So what is it about a vocal that really matters? Obviously it's not technique. But just being "bad" isn't enough, either. Is it the lyrics? The intensity? A distinctiveness?

• Members

There's a great quote from David Byrne: "The better the singer's voice is, the harder it is to believe what they're saying. So I turn my weakness into my strength."

I think that's maybe more true in folk especially - sometimes - but there's so many exceptions to that in rock and many other genres it's ridiculous. Rough vocals doesn't automatically equate to authenticity. Authenticity = authenticity.

• Members

There's this old story - I hope it's true, but if it's not, it's still.....true.

When Sam Cooke played Dylan for the young Bobby Womack, Womack said he didn't understand it. Cooke explained that from now on, it's not going to be about how pretty the voice is. It's going to be about believing that the voice is telling the truth.

The crazy thing is that Dylan's voice is, for all it's compelling, convincing power, still a schtick he developed, part of an act, a thing of artifice. Of course Dylan knows this better than anyone and embraces it - he changes voices like other people change guitars.

The old paradigm was that you develop your natural voice to be just a stronger, well-controlled, more athletic version of your own real voice. But the Dylan paradigm is that you invent and re-invent yourself, make any kind of noise, draw on any source, imitate anything and anybody you desire. It works if it works, that's all.

Most of us I think fall somewhere in the middle between these opposing paradigms of style development. I for one feel just too bogus if I affect too much of some style not native to my cultural roots and my untaught, natural speaking/singing voice. But there are any number of people who adopt as exotic and non-native a version of their schtick as they can, and I have no philosophical argument with them if they can truly pull it off.

There does seem to be a particular magic when someone makes great music or other art that is clearly an outgrowth from and a development of their native culture. I think in the long run this way of going about things has a better chance of carrying a lasting, more universal message, drawing from the deepest roots we have. There would be no blues if a certain culture didn't slowly develop among a relatively small people group sharing a common, difficult heritage. The old blues has that cultural authenticity....the real voices and accents, the real experiences, the real rhythms of an actual culture - that's deep magic.

But there is so much good music that comes from the path of alienation and exotic imitation that...I'm not sure I know what to think a lot of the time.

nat whilk ii

• Members

The crazy thing is that Dylan's voice is, for all it's compelling, convincing power, still a schtick he developed, part of an act, a thing of artifice. Of course Dylan knows this better than anyone and embraces it - he changes voices like other people change guitars.

We can all say what we want about Dylan's voice but it really comes down to the songs. He once said he wanted to sing these songs but they didn't exist so he had to write them. He considers himself s singer first and a writer second.

He uses his voice to present the songs and he does so with integrity and humility. I think that's what makes it great.

• Members

We can all say what we want about Dylan's voice but it really comes down to the songs. He once said he wanted to sing these songs but they didn't exist so he had to write them. He considers himself s singer first and a writer second.

He uses his voice to present the songs and he does so with integrity and humility. I think that's what makes it great.

Just in case you thought I had a negative take on Dylan, not so at all - I'm a huge Dylan fan.

I will say I think your post is the first time I've seen Dylan accused of humilitysmiley-happy

nat whilk ii

• Members

Just in case you thought I had a negative take on Dylan, not so at all - I'm a huge Dylan fan.

I will say I think your post is the first time I've seen Dylan accused of humilitysmiley-happy

nat whilk ii

I didn't take your post as negative. My comment was a generalization about the many different takes people have on Bob's vocals.

The humility bit is strictly about tone of the delivery. He's not showing off or prancing about like a rock star but delivering the songs.

btw did you ever see the movie "Masked and Anonymous"?

• Members

The old paradigm was that you develop your natural voice to be just a stronger, well-controlled, more athletic version of your own real voice. But the Dylan paradigm is that you invent and re-invent yourself, make any kind of noise, draw on any source, imitate anything and anybody you desire. It works if it works, that's all.

David Bowie!

• Members

The humility bit is strictly about tone of the delivery. He's not showing off or prancing about like a rock star but delivering the songs.

Great ponit..."What you get is what you hear." It rings true to me because my voice is not capable of showing off, so I deliver the songs as best I can...spoken word, with a melody. :)

• Members

Craig mentioned David Bowie..That is a guy with a real ability to make his voice go a hundred different places. He's not a Megavoice, but his absolutely Chamelon like abilities are certainly not limited to the many different personas he's adapted in his long career. He can do raw and rockin', he can do low and cold, he can do emotional. Quite amazing really.

• Members

I believe the voice has to meet the 'needs' of the music. Walter Brennan was not exactly a singer, and his voice was not even close to being smooth. But it had an 'earthy' quality (for lack of a better term). He had a hit song back in the 1960s called "Old Rivers". He doesn't sing, but rather talks through the lyrics. But I can't think of anyone else who might have been able to pull this song off but him. This type of recording we don't hear any more, which is really a shame. It is a great way to tell a story with music.

[video=youtube;zaQgfRs2T9s]

• Members
I believe the voice has to meet the 'needs' of the music. Walter Brennan was not exactly a singer, and his voice was not even close to being smooth. But it had an 'earthy' quality (for lack of a better term). He had a hit song back in the 1960s called "Old Rivers". He doesn't sing, but rather talks through the lyrics. But I can't think of anyone else who might have been able to pull this song off but him. This type of recording we don't hear any more, which is really a shame. It is a great way to tell a story with music.

[video=youtube;zaQgfRs2T9s]

'Old Rivers'?

Kinda describes Mike

*runs away*

• Members
I believe the voice has to meet the 'needs' of the music.

On the surface that seems like a simple, obvious statement but I think it goes pretty deep. It implies that the music exists on its own, and has its own needs and requirements that the singer needs to fulfill. Taken further, you could almost say the singer doesn't create the music, the music creates the singer.

Archived