How does one learn the electrical science of audio?

rasputin1963

• Members

Our Phil O'Keefe wrote, in an earlier post:

Decibels are a ratio unit of measure that has to reference something - a level or voltage... in the case of digital audio, that reference is full-scale; "0" on your meters. Anything lower than full-scale has a negative number because it's below that point, not above it. So -3 dBFS is 3 decibels below maxing out. In the analog days, we also referenced 0 dB on our meters (usually that corresponded to +4 dBu, or 1.228 volts RMS across a 600 ohm load)

I so appreciate Phil's reply, but the references to volts and ohms is Greek to me. (as are amps and watts, for that matter). How do you learn the electrical science specifically behind audio, amplification and recording?

Thanks, ras

Well, let me ask this Ras... how much math did you take in school? Did you take physics?

Most of what you're asking about is taught to electrical (and to formally-educated audio) engineers... audio engineering is all about math and physics - coupled with art and aesthetics. It's rather unique in that respect.

There are a few books that cover the info from an audio-centric POV, and if you're interested in learning about it, I can make some recommendations...

• Members

Other then taking some college or trade school courses, The best thing you can do is either buy some beginner books on electronics or Google up some fundamental electronics 101 sites and start studying.

http://www.electronicstheory.com/html/e101-1.htm

http://101science.com/Radio.htm

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-I.../dp/1615640959

https://www.universalclass.com/i/cou...lectronics.htm

You can then apply much of what is learned to audio specifically. The problem is when you do this stuff on line or out of a book you will have problems applying what you learn in a practical method. Its like you're given all the materials to build a home with no blueprints, or if you're given blueprints, you aren't given training in construction. You can wind up with something completely upside down which seems to make sense to someone who had to figure it out on their own, but in fact winds up being a major impediment in getting a good look at the bigger picture.

I can say if you learn one branch of physics, it makes it allot easier to learn another because you use the same formulas in all. I had a buddy who had studied to be an Architect for 6 years. He was having a problem involving stress on a beam dealing with weight and strength. I took one look at the problem, applied ohms law and just plugged in his values and it gave him the correct answer.

He was absolutely dumfounded because he had studied it in college for years and knew I was no architect. My answer to him was, it was just a simple problem based in physics.

There are very good reasons why things like electronics are taught in a specific format, and in a certain order. Its because the beginner levels are used to get you to the higher levels in the science. You may start with the basic sciences and how different materials are influenced by electricity and magnetics, then move to DC voltage, followed by AC voltage.

The Laws used in understanding DC electricity are used in AC electronics with a new twist thrown in, Frequency which throws a monkey wrench in there if you don't understand the DC laws inside and out first. Some general descriptions can be valid between the two but you wont be able to work with AC in a fluid and intelligent way. Troubleshooting will be full of pitfalls and your mind will be full of black holes filled with inaccurate substitutes used to fill the void and make some kind of sense out of what you know.

The real question comes down to this however. Does it really matter when it comes to mixing audio. Is a laymen understanding enough to keep you out of trouble and on track creating good work and being artistic.

Honestly, I took 3 years of Electronics, one year short of an engineering degree and you know how much of that stuff I actually use in the industry on a daily basis? You guessed it, practically none. I can say like any other form of education, its a discipline earned and it is at the heart of many things I do on a daily basis. I am trained to troubleshoot problems from a logical methodology, not only from the book training, but 50 years of practical experience in electronics first hand. I dont need to memorize every formula I may need. I did all that stuff to get my diploma and can find that details duff if I need it.

I did some really advanced formulas taught to me by a teacher who had his Doctorate in electronics working through 5th and 6th order determinates using a pencil and paper that took days to complete. The reason for doing that was a lesson in mind building and thinking on three dimensional levels which was important. Someone who designs electronic PC boards often have to think on three dimensional levels using multi layered boards. Once you've done it and understood it, they surely don't expect you to work all the complex problems out that way. They hand you a calculator and you do the same problem that took you days to figure out in a few minutes on a calculator.

Heck I haven't even touched a calculator in 20 years. I simply google up an on line calculator and plug the values in for an answer. The trick to being good in the field isn't memorizing everything, its knowing how to find the right answers quickly.

What a computer cant do for you is ask the right questions. That still has to be something you're taught be a good instructor who takes your strengths and weaknesses into account and takes you where you need to be. There may be pot holes in that road that need filling in and in other cases speed zones erected to create that path, Good teachers can do that. Doing it all yourself is hit or miss.

• Members

I learned electronics in the Air Force, I discovered I had a talent for math I didn't realize I had. I ended up with a total of 3 degres in physics and computer science all financed by the US taxpayer. Also got paid and played music all over the world while doing so. Now I receive a monthly check after retiring after 20 years at 39. Still gig and record regularly and work for NASA. Not for everyone but it worked out well for me. I agree with WRGKMC, you can learn a lot from books. http://http://www.amazon.com/Audio-E.../dp/0240819152

• CMS Author

I wrote an artlcle for Recording Magazine a while back entitled "The Nuts and Bolts of Amps and Volts" that would probably get you started. It may be on their web site in the "reference" section. I just looked and I don't have a copy of that article on my web page. I should dig it up and add it. There are a few other articles there that might help you out. Most of those come from a "beginners" series that I wrote back in the mid to late 1990s. The laws of physics haven't changed significantly since then.

Archived