What Is Going On With Chrome and Java and Youtube and Etc Etc Etc

• Members

All of a sudden anything Java is not running on Chrome. Ok, I see where Chrome is dropping Java support - at some hazy moveable point in time maybe ok certainly almost.....

So, tired of not being able to access stuff here and there, I loaded up Firefox and that solved some of my access issues (FWIW, I can now view deed records from the county records website, yippee..)

But now using Firefox under XP, the YTs I've posted to HC I can't view - I can see some other people's YT posting, but mine just are greyed out with the message "a plugin is needed to display this content"

What plugin? Why can I see some, not other YTs? Same thing is happening on Soundcloud, but opposite - I can listen to my page, but other pages are "unsupported" etc.

This is all very weird. Anyone understand what is going on?

Is there a fix, some extension or app for any browser that enables viewing of all the formats people are/have been/will continue to be using????

nat whilk ii

• Members

Hard to pin down precisely what all is happening with your setup.

One thing, if you don't have a specific reason to be running the Java 'plug in' on your system, it's best to either ditch it or at least prevent it from accessing the Internet (or letting the Internet access you via the insecure and frequently buggy Java system). Java always had problems but once Oracle bought Sun (to get Java but also, crucially, to gain control of the widely used 'competitor' to Oracle's own DB systems, MySQL), things really started going to heck.

If, however, you do enterprise computing and your enterprise coders decided to go with Java, you're kind of stuck, but you may be able to limit your exposure.

The story with Flash is, actually, eerily parallel. Flash/Shockwave was developed by Macromedia. Things were generally pretty good under Macromedia, but in the early 2000's, Adobe bought Macromedia to get Flash (and Dreamweaver, since Adobe's own web dev programs had about 3 users because they were so terrible). Once Adobe was responsible for Flash, the security problems went through the roof.

And, of course, infamously, while it had always previously run well on Windows machines, as performance deteriorated under Adobe's stewardship on Windows, Flash reportedly became a disaster on the Mac's OS X.

Apple -- perhaps reasonably, at least in retrospect -- saw the handwriting on the wall (Adobe was never going to pull it together) and brought the full force of their 8000 pound gorilla status to bear, trying to kill off Flash, even though, at the time, there was nothing to replace it. (That led us to the hideously problematic migration to the incredibly verbose, bloated code of HTML5 that continues to bog down and sludge up the web.)

Anyhow, Flash is circling the drain that Java should have been flushed down long ago. That's not so much a reflection on the original precepts of either of those development systems, Java, the language, is a generally clean, modern language -- but both have been very poorly served by their 'new' corporate owners.

• Members

With regard to the 'unsupported plugin/protocol' and other messages -- I've got these, too, even on Google's own YouTube site, despite the fact that I have the latest Chrome. THAT cracks me the hell up.

I believe much of these problems stem from recent attempts to end run the latest set of Flash security problems by Google and others, blocking particularly unsafe implementations.

Many users, in fact, went into their Chrome, Opera, or Firefox settings and turned off 'load plugins automatically' -- in Chrome that generally results in a 'missing plugin' symbol in the browser where Flash content was. (In Chrome and likely others, you can set permissions for individual sites. And, of course, HTML5 content should run without problems, assuming you have an HTML5-ready browser. To get such 'missing plugin' content to play, you then (in Chrome, anyhow) right-click on the content marker to force it to play.

• CMS Author

Sometimes when I want to watch a YouTube video, I get a popup over the video saying that the site wants to store some content on my computer and asks me how many megabytes I'll allow (or deny any storage), Either way, that pop-up doesn't go away and it can't be moved, so I abandon the video.

I'm using Firefox, and running WinXP. I know that Mozilla and Flash have been arguing for a while and apparently Firefox now just doesn't want to run it without absolving itself of all responsibility. But I get that same "store" pop-up when I view the same video with Internet Explorer. So it could be something in the packaging that's causing it.

• Members

Check for updates for XP, Firefox, and Flash.

Adobe Flash was hacked a couple of months back, and was dropped as the graphics protocol for Firefox for a while. I run an old laptop with XP and Firefox, and suffered the same YT issues as yourself, minus the store popups. The next auto updates after the Flash snafu fixed the issue.

• Members

Thx for the info - I guess maybe I've been lucky 'till now. My computing setup is maybe a bit unusual, but not that complicated. I have four hard drives in the one PC I put together, and three of them are bootable. 1) boots XP, used for business programs that won't run on anything newer than XP. 2)boots Win7, an all-purpose drive that does some business, some personal. 3)is the music drive that boots Win7. I just select which drive to boot up into depending on what I'm doing. The 4th drive is just for backing stuff up. I spend the most time in 2) mode.

One of the messages telling me there is a plug-in needed to view something doesn't even have a right-click option to force it to run - it's just a dead end.

I can see I'll have to try different things, tinker with browser settings, and switch browsers from time to time to get something particular to work.

Good grief you'd think there would be massive incentive for someone to provide a content-play/display program that works all round for everyone. What does Java say - "Eight Billion Devices Run Java"? I'd pay a dollar per each device I own that runs Java, to anyone who could solve the situation. Shoot, two dollars.

Not only that, but on the music drive, I've got the dreaded Chrome search engine virus. That's one nasty virus. So far I don't think I can get rid of it short of wiping that drive clean and reinstalling everything. For the music stuff, that's about a three day project.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Oh, man, I deloused someone's computer that had a search engine reset 'infestation'... I wish I could remember more what the procedure was, it took me a while to find it. As usual I pretty much just googled on all the particulars I could find. But if yours is like the one my friend's laptop had, it was nasty, because it reset itself from multiple places, you'd clean up one and there'd be more resetting it back to the evil search engine intermediator.

Seems to me the issue in my friend's case was that I had to get into the Windows Internet Properties Dialog, Content tab, Certificates.Personal and/or Other People and remove a certificate that wasn't supposed to be there. It's very hazy in my memory. I try to blot out the pain. wink.png

• Members
Oh, man, I deloused someone's computer that had a search engine reset 'infestation'... I wish I could remember more what the procedure was, it took me a while to find it. As usual I pretty much just googled on all the particulars I could find. But if yours is like the one my friend's laptop had, it was nasty, because it reset itself from multiple places, you'd clean up one and there'd be more resetting it back to the evil search engine intermediator.

Seems to me the issue in my friend's case was that I had to get into the Windows Internet Properties Dialog, Content tab, Certificates.Personal and/or Other People and remove a certificate that wasn't supposed to be there. It's very hazy in my memory. I try to blot out the pain. wink.png

The place usually I first go to for computer help is Tomshardware.com - there's always a lot of threads on almost anything commonly (and not so commonly) encountered. It's a serious little site - not clickbait by any means like 99% of what Google finds for you. Have to read a bit to sort out the truly informed posters from the well-meaning hoi polloi of course. But with this virus, pretty much everyone seems rather stumped so far. The more reliable cleanup programs like malwarebytes aren't working - or they seem to get it, but it pops back up for most folks seemingly.

I don't need the internet for recording my music most of the time....I'll deal with the thing during my work downtime which is late in the year.

nat whilk ii

• Members
Check out this page... The instructions are thorough -- maybe obsessively so, every step is detailed, perhaps making the process look more intimidating than it is -- and oriented to using freely available or trial software utilities.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-...edirect-virus/

I'll check it out - certainly worth a shot. I may still decide to just wipe my hard drive and re-install the OS and everything later during my slow work time - Sonar is crashing every so often now so it's getting to be that time again. Your link is valuable in any event - thx!

nat whilk ii

• Members

Its likely add support that's being blocked. I run IE at work and home and the addware is getting intrusive. It looks at your cookies and makes add suggestions based on places you've browsed. I suspect web pages you visit are asking your bowser for web information to display those adds and your bowser doesn't support those kinds of adds so you get a dead window. Its simply one more attempt to get people to upgrade their operating systems.

Once MS drops an OS they quit guaranteeing it will run on line properly. Everything prior to XP is already obsolete. I tried to get on line with a 98 laptop awhile back and I couldn't even get it to connect.

The only suggestion I have is to go into internet options and reset the security defaults, clean your temp files and reset your security defaults. You can wind up having these defaults overwritten when installing other programs and browsers. I'd also check your firewall and make sure you don't have any back doors open. They usually have a list of sites that are authorized access past the firewall. If there's something there you haven't authorized, get rid of it.

You can also check your browser add on's. Again installing different browsers installs these sneaky program extensions that do things in the background. I always remove them all.

Google is especially is intrusive when you install it. (or adobe) when you install or update one it will try and install the other if you aren't careful. I'm pretty wise to those tricks and make sure I remove all that stuff.

You can visit the Black Viper site http://www.blackviper.com/custom-services-registry-file-creation-tool/windows-xp-custom-services-registry-file-tool/windows-xp-home-service-pack-3-custom-services-registry-file-tool/ and get all the tricks to making your system secure. Just be sure when you mess with the services you do screen shots of your current settings before you start tweaking them. Windows leaves a bunch of services running when you install windows that make your system venerable. In this day and age, you have to know which ones are the dangerous ones to leave running and set them for manual or disable (not automatic). Allot of services are interdependent on one another so you have to try out settings and make sure you don't shut off something you might need.

• Members
Its likely add support that's being blocked. I run IE at work and home and the addware is getting intrusive. It looks at your cookies and makes add suggestions based on places you've browsed. I suspect web pages you visit are asking your bowser for web information to display those adds and your bowser doesn't support those kinds of adds so you get a dead window. Its simply one more attempt to get people to upgrade their operating systems.

Once MS drops an OS they quit guaranteeing it will run on line properly. Everything prior to XP is already obsolete. I tried to get on line with a 98 laptop awhile back and I couldn't even get it to connect.

The only suggestion I have is to go into internet options and reset the security defaults, clean your temp files and reset your security defaults. You can wind up having these defaults overwritten when installing other programs and browsers. I'd also check your firewall and make sure you don't have any back doors open. They usually have a list of sites that are authorized access past the firewall. If there's something there you haven't authorized, get rid of it.

You can also check your browser add on's. Again installing different browsers installs these sneaky program extensions that do things in the background. I always remove them all.

Google is especially is intrusive when you install it. (or adobe) when you install or update one it will try and install the other if you aren't careful. I'm pretty wise to those tricks and make sure I remove all that stuff.

You can visit the Black Viper site http://www.blackviper.com/custom-services-registry-file-creation-tool/windows-xp-custom-services-registry-file-tool/windows-xp-home-service-pack-3-custom-services-registry-file-tool/ and get all the tricks to making your system secure. Just be sure when you mess with the services you do screen shots of your current settings before you start tweaking them. Windows leaves a bunch of services running when you install windows that make your system venerable. In this day and age, you have to know which ones are the dangerous ones to leave running and set them for manual or disable (not automatic). Allot of services are interdependent on one another so you have to try out settings and make sure you don't shut off something you might need.

Thanks for the info - Google is also constantly updating, and if you turn off Google updates, it will turn it back on the second you blink.

nat whilk ii

Archived