How would this work for corner bass traps?

• Members

Thinking I could solve 2 problems at one time. I have close to 2 dozen handmade quilts made by my mom and both grandmothers. Since they are handmade by family I hate to part with them but they are a real storage problem. Since I'm building a jam room and I want to install at least a couple of corner bass traps, how would this work?

Fold the quilts triangularly like flags and stack in the corners. I probably have enough to do two 8' floor to ceiling stacks, or at least two 5' stacks.

then just build a light frame faced with fabric to free stand, hang, or otherwise affix in front of the quilts to hide them. Whatever method would be stable yet easy to get behind to borrow a quilt.

wouldnt 15-24" of cotton in the corner absorb pretty darn well?

would it help matters to put some 703 in the panel?

• CMS Author

It's so hard to predict these things, but since you have the quilts, stack up a couple of piles in the corners and give it a listen. Since quilts are kind of puffy they might work OK. If you can hear a favorable effect, then you can dress them up a bit. Otherwise, all you've lost is a little time.

Everybody needs bass traps where there are reflections. Depending on how you're using the room, corner traps may or may not be effective.

• Members

Mike is right - very hard to tell. If they are too compressed, they will start reflecting versus absorbing. You might run them through the washer and dryer to puff them up. You might consider folding them and rolling them up and tying something around them to hold them in cinnamon-roll shape. Then stack them on the flat ends.

nat whilk ii

Archived