Has Anyone Here Installed Windows 10 over Windows 7?

Anderton

• Members

Yes, I know doing a clean install is best, but I really don't want to have to re-install and re-authorize everything. If installing over Windows 7 is "good enough," I'm going to give it a shot...depending on the experiences of the people here.

• CMS Author

First, clone (don't just back up) your system's hard drive. Make the clone on a drive that you can swap with the existing drive. Swap the clone into your computer and spend half an hour making sure that all your essential programs work. When I put a clone into one of my XP systems, about the only thing I need to do is re-register Sound Forge. Everything else works. Your computer life may be more complicated than mine.

Then, install Windows 10 (on the clone) and see what's broken. Keep your original drive around for a few weeks. If Windows 10 becomes too much of a pain, put your original disk drive back and you'll be back in business as usual.

• CMS Author
That's good. Will Microsoft treat this as a new machine or will it void updates on Win7 ?

I assume you're talking about putting the cloned disk into the computer it was cloned from? Well, it's not a new computer, and unless you've made the clone on a larger drive, it's not really a new disk drive. However, if Microsoft wants to, they'll find a way to screw you into moving to a new operating system.

For what it's worth, even when they were still doing updates to XP, I never had a problem putting a freshly cloned drive into the system it was cloned from, or even one that's a month or so old. Clones are my backups. I don't want to have to re-install everything or even remember preferences for programs that have them.

• Members

Great idea, Mike. I do have programs that depend on hard disk authorizations and such (one reason why when given the option to use iLok hard drive or dongle, I choose dongle) but your idea will at least give me a way to check out Windows 10 with the equivalent of a "virtual condom." :)

• Members

I assume you're talking about putting the cloned disk into the computer it was cloned from? Well, it's not a new computer, and unless you've made the clone on a larger drive, it's not really a new disk drive. However, if Microsoft wants to, they'll find a way to screw you into moving to a new operating system.

For what it's worth, even when they were still doing updates to XP, I never had a problem putting a freshly cloned drive into the system it was cloned from, or even one that's a month or so old. Clones are my backups. I don't want to have to re-install everything or even remember preferences for programs that have them.

Seems reasonable that MS would not question a new physical drive. The problem might be reverting to the original drive and installation?

• CMS Author

Seems reasonable that MS would not question a new physical drive. The problem might be reverting to the original drive and installation?

You can worry as much as you want, but nothing ventured, nothing learned. We'll let Craig try it first. ;)

• Members

I "reserved" my copy. If I understood correctly it'll be downloading in the background and then let me know when it's supposed to install. I'm actually not at that computer very often and although I have some good stuff on it that I use it's not one of my "critical" computers so I'll go ahead and install it and see what happens.

I found the email --------------------------

" What’s next?

We want to give every customer a great upgrade experience, so we’re rolling it out in an organized way to manage high demand and to make sure that the upgrade is right for your device.

When Windows 10 is ready for your device, it will download in the background. You’ll then get a notification in the coming days or weeks, to schedule your upgrade right away or at another time that is convenient for you.

If you have any more questions, check out the upgrade FAQ."

Archived