Turnabout

• Members

Here's one from a while back. I've remastered it and uploaded at 320kbps since blue2blue heard it.

So, my warts should show up better. Comments welcome! It's unlikely that I'll be returning to these tracks though as they are Adat xt20 and I've moved on.

The programming has been reworked and I hope to give this song another whirl at some point though. smiley-happy.png' alt='16x16_smiley-happy.png.a1cb19ed0a13aa15d5339265141016d6.png' alt='smiley-happy'>.png'>

http://www.broadjam.com/transmit/index.php?id=3616zqei

• Members
Here's one from a while back. I've remastered it and uploaded at 320kbps since bluetoblue heard it.

So, my warts should show up better. Comments welcome! It's unlikely that I'll be returning to these tracks though as they are Adat xt20 and I've moved on.

The programming has been reworked and I hope to give this song another whirl at some point though. smiley-happy.png' alt='16x16_smiley-happy.png.a1cb19ed0a13aa15d5339265141016d6.png' alt='smiley-happy'>.png'>

http://www.broadjam.com/transmit/index.php?id=3616zqei

Some day I'm going to have to pry some info about your FX chain out of you... having dealt with both an old friends' Barcus Berry as well as another friend's transducer-mounted viola (not to mention miking straight acoustics, of course), I always have a very difficult time imagining how you get such a tone out of your rig; it is really quite striking -- and quite different from the sound of many of the electric violin performers I've listened to in the past. I don't want to say unique but... wink.png

If I have a kvetch -- and I assume people expect kvetching out of me -- it might be that the 'swipe' slurs (or whatever you edumucated types call them) that are sort of an every other line motif in the early part of the song might be overused there a little. That said, I get it that you're setting up a tension thing to be released in the solo proper.

Anyhow, as always, very interesting work! :thu:

• Members
Some day I'm going to have to pry some info about your FX chain out of you... having dealt with both an old friends' Barcus Berry as well as another friend's transducer-mounted viola (not to mention miking straight acoustics' date=' of course), I always have a very difficult time imagining how you get such a tone out of your rig; it is really quite striking -- and quite different from the sound of many of the electric violin performers I've listened to in the past. I don't want to say [i']unique[/i] but... wink.png

If I have a kvetch -- and I assume people expect kvetching out of me -- it might be that the 'swipe' slurs (or whatever you edumucated types call them) that are sort of an every other line motif in the early part of the song might be overused there a little. That said, I get it that you're setting up a tension thing to be released in the solo proper.

Anyhow, as always, very interesting work! :thu:

Thanks blue2blue! I play a Barbera Ultralite 5 string. The bridge has imbedded piezos for each string. On this song, that's a Line6 POD 2.3-probably through a Digitech VTP1- with the Soldano x88 preamp setting, some delay added at the mix. I've got the POD XTPro too and can't find that sag for the life of me. Nor can I quite find it with my pedals, rack units or the amps that I have.

Kvetch noted and understandable. Just pushing the attitude kinda hard. I try not to be predictable about it. Sometimes it's 3 times in a row and skip the four, rather than every other, etc. But yeah, as far as that goes, I filled this one to the brim. It depends on the song, sometimes I don't scream and dive bomb at all-just kinda couldn't help myself with this one. I may post a few more songs, you won't have the same kvetch, I promise. very-happy.png.197c47f720636f02390cc2b0a33804da.png' alt='smiley-veryhappy'>

• Members

Whew! It might seem formulaic somehow (but we have formulae for reasons, of course) but something that unrelenting almost seems to cry out for a spacey, half-time section, or similar breathing space. But I could see that just as it is as the penultimate in a stage set... it would really set you up for a final extravaganza that could start spacey/thoughtful, whatever, and then build to the evening's majestic climax. (Not counting encore. Of course. wink.png )

• Members
Whew! It might seem formulaic somehow (but we have formulae for reasons' date=' of course) but something that unrelenting almost seems to cry out for a spacey, half-time section, or similar breathing space. But I could see that just as it is as the penultimate in a stage set... it would really set you up for a final extravaganza that could start spacey/thoughtful, whatever, and then build to the evening's majestic climax. (Not counting encore. Of course. [img']http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/core/images/smilies/wink.png[/img] )

Thanks again blue! See, a new kvetch. cool.gif

There is a break, kinda, isn't there? It's just not half time. And often times it's the lead that conveys some of the change you want as well, with my stuff, while the rhythm keeps things percolating. But, I haven't gotten around to the lead with this one, and it almost seems to stand as it is to me now.

Plus, c'mon it's 3 minutes long on the dot. Whewzzz. biggrin.gif

But I could see a 6 or 7 minute extended version that does exactly as you suggest. love.gif

• Members

Changing up the snare might do it, for sure... or anything that gives just a bit more breathing room for a bit.

I'll admit, my time sense has really shifted. 45 years ago, a song just being long -- 6 minutes seemed to be the middle in my mind in those days) was almost enough to make it seem cool to me. But by the end of the 70s, I had come to the idea that if your song goes over 3 to 3 and a half minutes, it better have a good excuse. :D

• Members
Hey RV!

Great to hear your stuff! Just a LITTLE different from the stuff we used to play at brunch?

I'm sorry I never sent you my CD, not too late.

Hope you are well,

Dave

Hey KD!

Yep, all that time playing Eine Kliene Nacht Musik, Pachebel, and "Old Folks At Home" alias, "Swanee River" and the real me was lurking underneath. I'm pretty sure that if I'd known I'd could do this at the time I'd have been doing less of that.lol.gif

The company was good though, and it was a good gig, till new mngmnt cut our pay in half. Didn't they can our trip to the buffet as well?

Dr. Jekyll ain't got s*** on me though. smiley-cool03.gif Well, I mostly just murder mastering attempts and stuff. biggrin.gif

Ladies and Gentlemen-my busom brunch buddy Dave, a most excellent cellist and my long haired cohort in a classical scene. We gigged back in the early/mid 80's at a Sheraton Inn on a lake in WV every Sunday for 3 1/2 hours while we were in college. The opera pit as well.

Thanks for scopin Dave, and no it's not too late. I'm still here, and so are you, and I'm profoundly glad about that. Send it to me!

thu.gif

• Members

Hey, Dave! Good to meet you, cybernetically speaking. thu.gif

Did y'all have a quartet, trio, or just the two of you?

Sounds like a good gid as long as you could weight it more toward the Mozart end of things than the Stephen Foster. Not, of course, that there's anything wrong with Foster. wink.png

• Members
Hey' date=' Dave! Good to meet you, cybernetically speaking. [img']http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/core/images/smilies/thu.gif[/img]

Did y'all have a quartet, trio, or just the two of you?

Sounds like a good gid as long as you could weight it more toward the Mozart end of things than the Stephen Foster. Not, of course, that there's anything wrong with Foster. wink.png

It was a string quartet. Dave, me, my wife at the time and another- either violin or viola depending on which said wife was playing. We played lots of Mozart! Lean on him we did, indeed.

Dave did some* happenin* arrangements iirc, like "Downtown", and "Yesterday", "Jeanie With The Light Brown Hair". My ex arranged "The Sunny Side Of The Street", "Eleanor Rigby", "Fascination".

We did a lot of Scott Joplin rags, and some show tunes. "Oh What A Beautiful Morning"...which somehow, after a year or two became, "Oh What A Mortiful Burning." Haha! "The Surrey With The Fringe On Top" gained new life as well when altered to "The Furry With The Syringe On Top." I hope Dave remembers. lol.gif

Some pieces like the Foster, and the Pachebel Canon, after several years, every Sunday, plus weddings and other events, I just got really tired of them. So I instituted my 1rst violin veto, as in, "No, I won't play that today." This right of veto was extended to the other members of the group in short order. biggrin.gif

Anyway, small world! Dave and I haven't seen each other since 1986 or so. He saw something in some posts I made here and recognized me by my avatar to some extent, and sent me a PM. thu.gif

• Members

The best thing about that Lakeview gig, for me, was that I got to work out the kinks in a relatively low key environment...and I didn't have to do it alone. It actually really did my playing some serious good as far as being able to play for people goes. And there's really no shortcut to the confidence that putting in all the hours on the job brings.

• Members

In which I discover the delays and reverbs in my Eventide, a rather dope bass patch in my RM1x, and weather.

An experiment, I got your spacey right here. Patience, it does arrive somewhere. Perhaps an acquired taste, but, the piece has it's fans.

"The Last Trance Saloon"

'Smokes -if ya got 'em.' rastaphil.png

https://soundcloud.com/user471433870...trance-salloon

• Members

Sorry, I kinda posted and ran off for a few days.

Hi Blue, nice to meet you. I have mostly been lurking on this site for years because as a classical cellist and Irish/Folk musician I rarely have anything intelligent to add. I'm that guy over at the next table who is sitting quietly alone listening to YOUR conversations. A little while ago, RockViolin made a comment about his past that seemed to be about me so I sent him a PM and sure enough it was Tom!

We had many great adventures as a working string quartet back in college. His girlfriend-then-wife at the time worked in the college music office and managed to field all the calls for quartets that came in. In addition to the brunch gig, we traveled through hill and holler in Tom's mostly trusty VW Bug. Four people and their instruments.

Both Tom and I also played in the faculty chamber orchestra. In addition to a couple yearly Handel Messiah marathons, we also toured small towns throughout WV, PA, and even NY every December with the Pittsburgh Chamber Opera playing the opera Hansel and Gretel by the real-life 19th century composer Engelbert Humperdink. Tom and I often roomed together.

Besides countless gigs with Tom, I remember him introducing me to Jan Hammer's music (no guitars were harmed in the making of this album), I remember his excitement at the recent purchase of his Roland Twin Chorus, and hearing him in the practice room one day with my first exposure to a delay unit.

It's pretty cool to have caught up with him again here after so many years.

Best,

Dave

• Members

It was a string quartet. Dave, me, my wife at the time and another- either violin or viola depending on which said wife was playing. We played lots of Mozart! Lean on him we did, indeed.

Dave did some* happenin* arrangements iirc, like "Downtown", and "Yesterday", "Jeanie With The Light Brown Hair". My ex arranged "The Sunny Side Of The Street", "Eleanor Rigby", "Fascination".

We did a lot of Scott Joplin rags, and some show tunes. "Oh What A Beautiful Morning"...which somehow, after a year or two became, "Oh What A Mortiful Burning." Haha! "The Surrey With The Fringe On Top" gained new life as well when altered to "The Furry With The Syringe On Top." I hope Dave remembers. lol.gif

Some pieces like the Foster, and the Pachebel Canon, after several years, every Sunday, plus weddings and other events, I just got really tired of them. So I instituted my 1rst violin veto, as in, "No, I won't play that today." This right of veto was extended to the other members of the group in short order. biggrin.gif

Anyway, small world! Dave and I haven't seen each other since 1986 or so. He saw something in some posts I made here and recognized me by my avatar to some extent, and sent me a PM. thu.gif

Sound like a great gig and a nice way to spend a morning for the audience. While I'm a 'classical' fan, I'm deeply fond of what we used to call the American songbook... the great body of pop and show standards you were drawing from.

• Members

Hi Blue, nice to meet you. I have mostly been lurking on this site for years because as a classical cellist and Irish/Folk musician I rarely have anything intelligent to add. I'm that guy over at the next table who is sitting quietly alone listening to YOUR conversations. A little while ago, RockViolin made a comment about his past that seemed to be about me so I sent him a PM and sure enough it was Tom!

We had many great adventures as a working string quartet back in college. His girlfriend-then-wife at the time worked in the college music office and managed to field all the calls for quartets that came in. In addition to the brunch gig, we traveled through hill and holler in Tom's mostly trusty VW Bug. Four people and their instruments.

Both Tom and I also played in the faculty chamber orchestra. In addition to a couple yearly Handel Messiah marathons, we also toured small towns throughout WV, PA, and even NY every December with the Pittsburgh Chamber Opera playing the opera Hansel and Gretel by the real-life 19th century composer Engelbert Humperdink. Tom and I often roomed together.

Besides countless gigs with Tom, I remember him introducing me to Jan Hammer's music (no guitars were harmed in the making of this album), I remember his excitement at the recent purchase of his Roland Twin Chorus, and hearing him in the practice room one day with my first exposure to a delay unit.

Best,

Dave

Sounds like great memories!

Speaking of cellos sneaking into folk music, I've been delighted to be caught up in that from the listener side. I'm a big fan of outfits like Crooked Still and others that sneak some more complex arrangements into their bluegrass, blues and roots music. And, in fact, I've been a fan of what I guess we might call progressive folk since I fell in love with Pentangle at the end of the 60s. (I was a little late finding them. Radio out here leaned more to that new Led Zeppelin outfit. wink.png )

• Members

Best,

Dave

I'm a classical violinist and Rock /Jazz/ Funk/ Metal/ New Age/ Ambient/ World musician and I probably don't have anything intelligent to add either, but that hasn't stopped me...nooooooo. :lol: I wouldn't say I'm a regular...but I've been around since BrittanyLips and MorePaul were still posting. I'm mostly here to learn though. But sometimes something will get stuck in my craw, often a musicianship thing, and I'm in. :cop:

Haha, my mostly trustworthy blue Beetle. Well you're still alive aintcha? :D

On the interstate I had to floor it going down hill, possibly even breaking the 55 mph speed limit so that we'd still maybe going 40mph by the top of the next hill. :D2

There's lots this Iowa boy misses about those times, and those WV mountains. But I don't miss coal trucks careening from around blind curves. :eek2:

Sure could go for a little "Those Were The Days" right now. (Dave arranged it too.)

In keeping with my *never sell anything ever 'cuz it's mine* philosophy, I still have that Jazz Chorus amp, and the blue face MXR delay, as well as my lucite 5 string. All served me well. :rawk:

HC has been good for me. For instance, this last week because of something I said in passing about not having my POD hooked up digitally, I was inspired to revisit the matter, and was successful in getting it right. Thus eliminating 2 stages of conversion in that chain. In this case, nobody gave me the answer. I just couldn't live with what I'd said about not having managed to make it work. I do try to always say things I can live with.

And not long ago, because of something said in passing, I was reconnected with a good friend. smiley-happy

• Members

Sounds like great memories!

Speaking of cellos sneaking into folk music, I've been delighted to be caught up in that from the listener side. I'm a big fan of outfits like Crooked Still and others that sneak some more complex arrangements into their bluegrass, blues and roots music. And, in fact, I've been a fan of what I guess we might call progressive folk since I fell in love with Pentangle at the end of the 60s. (I was a little late finding them. Radio out here leaned more to that new Led Zeppelin outfit. wink.png )

Yes, that guy from Crooked Still is a madman! I don't recall his name, and I think he left the group to be replaced by someone equally insane.

Pentangle was great, and many of the early adopters of electric instruments and world music influences. Steeleye Span, and Fairport Convention come to mind. I feel that it's very difficult to get the right balance between modern and traditional influences in bands like these. I think MANY/MOST of the Celtic Rock bands of today miss that mark. I'm 51 now, so I know they aren't playing for me anyway.

Speaking of influences, I was primarily inspired to really pursue the cello by hearing Harry Chapin's band on the old Soundstage show on PBS when I was twelve. I'm lucky to be making a large part of my living playing in a Celtic/Folk duo with my wife doing something very similar.

Archived