XTC's Dave Gregory

• Members

A word from Ed Woltil about Dave's playing:

To say that it's a thrill to have Dave Gregory of XTC play guitar on one of your songs is an understatement. I'm not sure people quite understand when I tell them — Dave's been on my Top Ten list of favorite guitarists ever since XTC's Black Sea album first shook my world. So when we sent him Liberty Daze as a work in progress (vocals, acoustic guitar, drums and some keyboards) without any instructions or helpful ideas other than "please work your magic" we weren't quite sure what to expect. Try to imagine the mixture of shock and joy we felt when he sent us the guitar parts you're about to hear. First of all, the capoed six-string bass that comes in at about the 0:22 mark (capoed six-string bass? Who thinks of that?). Then, the fantastic Brian May homage (Dave's words!) that comes swelling in at the second verse — and then, of course, the impeccable lead solo and following guitar fills. Why are you still reading? Listen for yourself and enjoy! - Ed

• Members

Easily on my short list of best bands of all time.

The talent and genius of Andy Partridge goes without saying. And although he only contributed a couple of songs on each album, it was Colin Moulding who often came up with the catchiest hooks and best singles.

And Dave Gregory took it all to the next level. More than just the icing on the cake. He was baked right in. This became pretty apparent on the Apple Venus Vol. II record. His absence was notable, IMO.

• Members

"Drums and Wires" is my favorite by XTC. It's hard to improve on "Making plans for Nigel" or "Ten feet tall"..IMHO of course...All a matter of taste. I've been striving to write something close to that level of composition ever since...Never even come close..

• Members
"Black Sea" is one of the greatest rock albums of all time in my book. The intensity and power is pretty amazing.

That's certainly my favorite XTC album! thu.gif

There is no language in my lungs to describe how great that record is. wink.png

I love Dave Gregory's guitar hook for "Respectable Street."

Skylarking and English Settlement are my next favorites. I used to sing "No Thugs In Our House" in a cover band back when that song was current.

I was lucky enough to watch them perform at the Arizona State Fair, of all places, in support of that album. They warmed up for the Police, who had some success at that point—with "Message In A Bottle" and "Roxanne"—but had yet to break big. I believe it cost all of $3 to get into the state fair and watch the concert for free. If I recall correctly, that was XTC's final tour.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

That's certainly my favorite XTC album! thu.gif

There is no language in my lungs to describe how great that record is. wink.png

I love Dave Gregory's guitar hook for "Respectable Street."

Skylarking and English Settlement are my next favorites. I used to sing "No Thugs In Our House" in a cover band back when that song was current.

I was lucky enough to watch them perform at the Arizona State Fair, of al places, in support of that album. They warmed up for the Police, who had some success at that point—with "Message In A Bottle" and "Roxanne"—but had yet to break big. I believe it cost all of $3 to get into the state fair and watch the concert for free. If I recall correctly, that was XTC's final tour.

Best,

Geoff

I suspect you are right Geoff...About it being their last tour. Andy Partridge suffered from crippling stage fright. I'm envious you got to see them.

• Members
Easily on my short list of best bands of all time.

The talent and genius of Andy Partridge goes without saying. And although he only contributed a couple of songs on each album, it was Colin Moulding who often came up with the catchiest hooks and best singles.

And Dave Gregory took it all to the next level. More than just the icing on the cake. He was baked right in. This became pretty apparent on the Apple Venus Vol. II record. His absence was notable, IMO.

Spot on there, mate. I often wondered how some of those Wasp Star songs would have sounded with Dave's touch. As great as the songs were, they probably would have been er, stratospheric, if he'd been allowed to finger paint all over them. A shame we never got to hear them that way. It's amazing to say that really, because Partridge is a fantastic guitarist himself. It's just that the true magic happened with the two of them interacting. Did someone mention, "Language In Our Lungs"?

• Members
And he did some of their string arrangements, too. :thu:

I guess I'm one of the lucky Americans to have seen XTC on our own shores (Whisky a Go Go, February,1980). It was a great show.

I saw them in April of 1981 at the B&L Warehouse in Athens, Georgia.

The opening act was a popular local band called R.E.M.

Archived