What do you make of Verizon's acquisition of AOL?

• Members

Many industry observers saw Verizon's acquisition of AOL as a way for the telecoms company to juice more value from its customer base of more than 130 million and its huge repository of data using AOL's ad tech. Adding a mobile ad network and exchange such as Millennial Media could help accelerate this push.

Indeed, shortly after Verizon's acquisition of AOL was announced, Millennial Media's executive vice president of business strategy Marc Theermann told Business Insider: "We congratulate our friends at AOL and Verizon on today's news. Deals like these help grow and shape the entire ecosystem; it recognizes the value of mobile advertising as Verizon evolves from a traditional telco player to acquiring one of the world's largest media properties. This will support Millennial Media's efforts in driving industry-wide 100% viewable inventory and will continue to bring more ad dollars into mobile."

http://www.businessinsider.com/report-aol-to-buy-millennial-media-for-300-million-2015-7

• Members

They are. Craig still has an account, and I have one other friend who has an account, and they're the only two people I know who have them. But their subscribers have dropped like an orange rolling off a table, as you know. But I think they still possess a lot of technology. I don't know. AOL is really off my radar, so I'm curious about what people think is going to happen.

• Members

Yeah, I still see the occasional "@aol.com" email account. But that can't be worth billions. Apparently they are somehow involved in the online advertising biz. And must have some other entities and/or assets.

I dunno. I'm way out of touch when it comes to valuing internet companies.

• Members
Yeah, I still see the occasional "@aol.com" email account. But that can't be worth billions. Apparently they are somehow involved in the online advertising biz. And must have some other entities and/or assets.

I guess so...that's what I'm getting from that. They must have some decent assets. Verizon probably didn't get to be as dominant as they are by being stupid, so hopefully this will be mutually beneficial.

I had AOL a long time ago, I think from about 1995-1998 or so. And it was where this very forum was housed on for a while. There are a few of us here who have been posting on Craig's forum since 1995, so I still have that cool association with it, even if in other capacities, we used to joke and say that AOL stood for "Almost OnLine".

• CMS Author

Whew! For a minute there I thought that said Millennia Media, maker of fine mic preamps.

I have a Verizon account and an AOL (e-mail) address as well. I wonder if they're going to make me stop using my Verizon e-mail address.

• Members

Whew! For a minute there I thought that said Millennia Media, maker of fine mic preamps.

I have a Verizon account and an AOL (e-mail) address as well. I wonder if they're going to make me stop using my Verizon e-mail address.

I would hope not.

I got lucky awhile back---I used to run my business out of a rented office and used a DSL connection. When I moved my business into my home, the DSL provider (the local phone company) was not able to provide the upload speeds I need to conduct my business properly. It's just too slow out in this neighborhood for whatever reason. So I switched to the local cable provider for internet connection. Luckily, the phone company told me they have what they call "email for life". For no charge, I still get to keep my business email address. I pay them no money, and presently do no business with them, but they still host my email. They even provided customer service over the phone when I've issues like passwords no longer working or whatever.

I don't know if other companies provide this as well, but it certainly worked out in my case as changing my business email addy would not only be a complete PITA, but would certainly cost me money.

So if some companies are doing this, I would at LEAST hope you get to keep your email addresses from within the same company!

• CMS Author

When I moved my business into my home, the DSL provider (the local phone company) was not able to provide the upload speeds I need to conduct my business properly. It's just too slow out in this neighborhood for whatever reason. So I switched to the local cable provider for internet connection. Luckily, the phone company told me they have what they call "email for life". For no charge, I still get to keep my business email address.

Verizon isn't that kind. I was considering moving to an area that Verizon doesn't serve (I didn't think such a place existed) and asked about keeping my e-mail address since I couldn't keep their service. They quoted me a moderate annual charge.

Oblligatory on-topic material: AT&T provides phone, Internet, and cable TV there. So does Comcast, or maybe it's Cox.

• Moderators

I dunno. I'm way out of touch when it comes to valuing internet companies.

I stuck with AOL also because I'm frequently in backwoods areas where there's no WiFi or cell service (yes really!). All you need is a land line to connect with AOL.

AOL does do one thing more relentlessly, reliably, and horrifyingly: serve up ads to to you that are spot on target. Seems like if I'm even discussing buying a car or something with the wife over dinner the next time I log in I'm gobsmacked with car ads! I'm exaggerating a little, but not much. AOL ads know exactly what I'm interested in compared to any other ad server - which is why Verizon bought them.

Terry D.

• Members

AOL is no longer about email, it's a destination site. They have the Huffington Post and a variety of other media, and have even done some original programming. They also have a pretty decent infrastructure.

$4 BN? Not sure about that, but if Verizon thinks it's worth it, it probably is.

And now AT&T is taking over DirecTV...and how many airlines are we down to, five or six? Peering into my crystal ball, I see increasing prices for everything...

Archived