How to Protect Yourself from Windows 10's Intrusive Defaults

Anderton

• Members

This article is a real eye-opener...granted it's from RT so they have their own agenda, but still...

http://www.rt.com/usa/311383-windows-opt-out-privacy/

There's also info on how to defeat the defaults and retain whatever teeny little bit are left of your online privacy.

What Microsoft is doing definitely makes sense for the "give the OS away for free, then charge for additional services" model that company will be pursuing in the future.

The scariest part, though, is this:

"We will access, disclose, and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to." Now, I will admit I haven't read the EULA to determine the context of this; maybe it's in response to answering subpoenas. Still, why is Microsoft saving my emails? I don't recall the post office opening my mail, and keeping photocopies before sending the letters to their destinations.

• Members

Now that Windows 10 is getting out in the wild, there is a bunch of stuff coming out about it. While we were cautiously optimistic that Microsoft had changed its ways, alas it seems it is even worse than before. Glad I decided to wait. I have continued to use Windows because of work (most software in Windows based) and Sonar. Has anyone tried running Sonar (in my case X3) under Wine? I dual boot Linux Mint on a couple of my laptops, and had thought about trying Sonar under Wine. Might just end up doing it now.

• Members

"We will access, disclose, and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to." Now, I will admit I haven't read the EULA to determine the context of this; maybe it's in response to answering subpoenas. Still, why is Microsoft saving my emails? I don't recall the post office opening my mail, and keeping photocopies before sending the letters to their destinations.

How to Protect Yourself from Windows 10's Intrusive Defaults

IMO don't by into it! I'm sure at some point MS will send a little gremlin to knock out my perfectly working XP SP2 installation,,, and that's what they will have to do to get me to switch... to Linux! ;)

• Members

Most of what's in Win10 is likely in Win7 and 8 already. The programs checks and does updates every Wednesday and I wouldn't doubt there's some version of those invasive software extensions already running.

I only connect one computer to the internet and I don't keep any valuable files of secure information on it. On my DAW and other computers I disable all internet connectivity once I get them up and running properly. I have to manually connect it to have any outside connection. If I have to send or receive files I put them on a thumb drive and take it to my internet computer for transmission. Of course you could get a virus off a thumb drive too but I've learned long ago how to be careful with that stuff.

I'll likely try out win 10 just for curiosity purposes, but I'll make sure it can be removed cleanly first. I do like to keep up with technical changes but if its anything like win 8 I probably wont have much use for the changes.

• Members
This article is a real eye-opener...granted it's from RT so they have their own agenda, but still...

http://www.rt.com/usa/311383-windows-opt-out-privacy/

There's also info on how to defeat the defaults and retain whatever teeny little bit are left of your online privacy.

What Microsoft is doing definitely makes sense for the "give the OS away for free, then charge for additional services" model that company will be pursuing in the future.

Here's the full quote from the Microsoft website - privacy policy section. Googling around on this, I see the web is currently choked with the truncated version that RT quoted (ending with "necessary to") which makes it sound like MSFT will do all this stuff simply when they believe it's necessary to do so. Now the real statement is quite far-reaching and open to interpretation - no question there - but it's not quite as totally open-ended as the truncated quote seems to imply:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to:

1. comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;
  2. protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;
  3. operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or
  4. protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services - however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer's private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

nat whilk ii

• Members

The way I see it is this.

Windows sees an end of the constant upgrade/update cycle. People are still using XP.

Windows sees the other "spyware" companies (Facebook, Google, Apple, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) making more money selling your personal information than MS sees in future upgrades.

So, if you can't beat the, join them.

Do you have a Google account? Are you on Facebook? Apple account? and so on. If so, it's too late to worry about it now, your stuff is already out there.

Do you play those silly games (what's your hippie name etc.) on Facebook. You just gave them more information. Searched for something on Google. They've got you there too.

Here's a little poem I wrote ©

ODE TO FACEBOOK

Oh Facebook how are you today?

I visit you most every day

And everything I do or say

you put into my dossier

Where was I born? what was my school?

"Enter your job, be very cool"

You even know my family

and everything that's dear to me

My information's gold to you

it sells to stores and spammers too

If I click "like" or I repost

your clients will dig me the most

I click an ad to merely look?

the ad man pulls to set the hook

It'll be in my e-mail today

and web page ads, day after day

And It'll waste, my precious time

and you'll receive another dime

I wouldn't mind the money you make

if a commission I could take

I'd like to get twenty percent

but you don't offer one red cent

So Facebook please let's make a deal

just cut me in, no need to steal

I'll finish my profile if you do

and we will profit, both me and you

The thing I found the scariest from that article was this:

“Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.”

So basically what you're saying Microsoft is that you collect anything you want... and do with it pretty much whatever you want. Got it!

• Moderators

IMO don't by into it! I'm sure at some point MS will send a little gremlin to knock out my perfectly working XP SP2 installation,,, and that's what they will have to do to get me to switch... to Linux! wink.png

You don't think they've already done that (with service packs, "security updates," etc?) And what about the stuff we still get on XP, the Defender updates?

I don't think they'd be so bold as to send anything that would stop XP from running suddenly. Now, maybe to make it slooooooooower... cuz, you know, your COMPUTER is getting old and Windows rot and all that.... :tinfoilhat"

I put the non-existent tinfoilhat smiley there because I saw on a microsoft forum someone say they had run an experiment with a freshly set up XP machine (complete to SP3) measuring performance time after adding only the subsequent updates from MS (security, abstraction layers, etc) and measuring a gradual slowdown in performance.

The MS guy replied that simply that it was "tinfoil hat" territory.

I had a discussion with my boss about an old NT server we had running at all times. Our research sponsor had paid us huge $$$ about 4 years before to set up online training programs which we hosted on that server. My boss wanted me to take it down citing numerous silly reasons like:

Him: They're not paying us to maintain it!

Me: What's it costing us, electricity? Sooner or later they'll ask for a new training program and we'll more than recoup our costs. Goodwill is important.

Him: But NT Server is obsolete!

Me: True, but it still runs the software we wrote when it was new and it always will. We can price in a new server next time they want changes.

Him: But it'll eventually break down!

Me: OK, Boss. Take a deep breath. Computers are immortal. There is no part of this computer that can't be easily and inexpensively replaced. The only unique part, the only important part, is the information on the hard drive. And guess what? That's automatically backed up once a week, which is more than enough for the amount of use it's getting.

Him: What about security?

Me: Not a problem. There's no internet browser on it, no one is installing programs, it has only the one use. See that little box behind it? That's a router with a firewall. If somehow despite all that it gets hacked, I simply install the cloned hard drive copy which is locked in a cabinet at the other office (in case of fire or theft) and we're back in business.

Him: So what the biggest danger to this?

Me: You.

Terry D.

• CMS Author
The thing I found the scariest from that article was this:

“Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.”

Great googly moogly! I wouldn't want Microsoft to know that I have any interest in music or recording. They might start spamming me to buy MP3 files of hiphop music.

I'm so happy that they're no longer supporting WinXP. At least those system here will be safe.

• Members

This whole debate about privacy....all the public can do is bang on the locked door of the megacorp - as if the decision-makers 50 stories up will run downstairs, listen carefully, and run back up to the boardroom yelling "OMG we're upsetting people and we have no right to take, store, use, and/or sell their valuable personal information!!"

The big software companies are hoovering up value from people for the same reason kids hoovered up music from Napster - because it's free and it's there and it has value to them and no one can or is willing to stop them.

Maybe one day there will be a Supreme Court case that defines the using of all this data as a taking without compensating or a violation of rights. Maybe some day governments will try to protect citizens from the use of their information by big software companies. Not until the God of Business Interests is dethroned or at least forced into some compromise. All signs point to yet more dominance by the God of Business Interests than otherwise for the foreseeable.

nat whilk ii

• Members

You don't think they've already done that (with service packs, "security updates," etc?) And what about the stuff we still get on XP, the Defender updates?

Terry D.

That's a good question and why I haven't installed half the updates or SP3 on my most important machines. It's a lot of work, but I've been looking at the updates one-by-one, and rejecting those that don't apply.

So my best most stable most reliable DAW is not only running XP SP2 but I'm doing that on an Asus P3B-F with Powerleap PL-ip3/t slot 1 to 370 adapter so I can run a PIII Tualatin 1.4 gig processor. I customized from the start for audio/visual as well. It's obviously getting long in the tooth for general computing but for what I need it to do it couldn't be better. Nothing else is necessary.

By the way, I still like NT 4 and have that too. I like it better than Win 2000

• Members
This whole debate about privacy....all the public can do is bang on the locked door of the megacorp - as if the decision-makers 50 stories up will run downstairs, listen carefully, and run back up to the boardroom yelling "OMG we're upsetting people and we have no right to take, store, use, and/or sell their valuable personal information!!"

The big software companies are hoovering up value from people for the same reason kids hoovered up music from Napster - because it's free and it's there and it has value to them and no one can or is willing to stop them.

Maybe one day there will be a Supreme Court case that defines the using of all this data as a taking without compensating or a violation of rights. Maybe some day governments will try to protect citizens from the use of their information by big software companies. Not until the God of Business Interests is dethroned or at least forced into some compromise. All signs point to yet more dominance by the God of Business Interests than otherwise for the foreseeable. nat whilk ii

If you're relying on Government or courts to make those changes, forget it. The courts have show us the Constitution is meaningless in recent months and they are simply bend in the the wind under stress. At least private companies are fearful of illegal actions and whistle blowers. Who are government employees fearful of? No one. You cant even get them fired when they break the law.

You have to rely on your on skills here for protection. No one else will do it for you. Mr Knobs laid out a good scenario for protecting yourself. There are many others too. If what you do doesn't need to have internet access, pull the card out or unplug the internet so no one can get to your information. Once you're connected we know that no matter how much protection you have, there's always a back door that can be hacked.

Doesn't matter is its hardware or software protection either. You have people working for a firewall manufacturer today and another company the next. He doesn't forget the tricks of getting past that firewall just because he went to work for someone else.

The whole argument about having nothing to hide doesn't hold any water either. This is no longer anything to do with just illegal activity, its about control and behavioral modification.

I'm definitely not a conspiracy theorist but the novel written back in 1949 called Nineteen Eighty-Four should be viewed as more fact then fiction these days. Big Brother is watching and they don't need your permission to do so. Out of 350 million you have maybe 40 people who have been indoctrinated into being terrorists on line in the past year? That's an awful low percentage when it comes to raw numbers. Why should 349.999995 million have their privacy invaded? They didn't break the law and the low percentage of fools out there doesn't justify the extreme measures of control imposed. You have to realize there are liars and people in all walks of life who seek power. Don't be stupid enough to give it to them.

Both the Movie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four_(film) and the Novel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four are worth reviewing. They hold predictions even Jules Verne couldn't come close to.

• Members

I installed Win10 on my main computer here on the 1st. I reverted back to 8.1 on the 2nd. What killed it for me, was that it took a full 5 minutes for my computer to boot, with the wifi running strangely enough, and on 8.1, it takes 30 seconds. There was a definite slow down of functions, and yet, the wifi was constantly running, even when offline.... hmmm, something wrong about that....Maybe I am just paranoid, or perhaps they really ARE out to get me.

• Members

hey beck i can beat that!

i run my main studio pc on an asus but with win98 lol, yes seriously i live in cool edit pro and boy it runs like the wind thru an 800mhz chip. but i do wish i did what you did with the upgrade chip. in my naivete i think i bought the chip without the adapter so had to make do with the 800mhz grrr...

oh, and the windows 10 issue. i have never seen my 2 mates and my gaaalfrend sooo pissed off at a piece of software as they were when my m8s pc upped from 8.1 to 10 allbeit with his sayso. boy does he want to go back to 8 now. dont actually know if you can though and wont see him till next weekend...

i simply couldnt believe the rubbish it puts on your PC now, its actually embarrassing to me to think they stooped so low...

anyways a big up to all still on XP allthough i wish i had the discipline NOT to put sp3 on but i still keep doing it ;(

its vista jim but not as we know it!!!

jsm

• Members

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2489381,00.asp

I'll have nothing to do with 10. So far easy except Firefox 40 with the latest Win10 integration broke Youtube. The HTM 5 player won't stop jittering until I set it for 1440p and then it slows to a glitch until it buffers sufficiently. 2160 just glitches. Only after doing that will the std res videos stream normally and then if I close Firefox it happens all over again. :freak:

Archived