Music Wins! Triumph of the Tuba -

• Members

A safe alternative to pepper spray and rubber bullets. In light of this, I can just imagine police forces all across the land adding Tuba players to take care of the really tense situations. Come to think of it, wouldn't this bring an end to hostage situations? "Let the hostages go now, or we will...bring out the tuba players!!"

• Members
Take instruments (instead of take up arms!) smile.png

Wasn't it the US that played hippy rock to the North Vietnamese in the 1960s to simply irritate them?

Not to parse here...But it's "Hippie" Rock. Like they thought Jefferson Hairpie was gonna scare them off. They tried Death Metal on that guy in Panama to get him out too...Noriega? Wasn't that his name?

• Members

I've been meaning to finally watch that. It was pretty amusing.

There was another somewhat 'heartwarming' moment from that day, a black trooper seeming to gently help one of the elderly Nazis from that rally who had some kind of difficulty (you can see the same fellow before his health event at the end of the vid above as they walk round the last corner).

http://abc11.com/864490/

864454_630x354.jpg

• CMS Author

Here in DC, around Christmas time, we have the annual Tubachristmas concert at The Kennedy Center. Anyone with a tuba can join in, and they actually rehearse for a couple of hours. They play Christmas music, of course, on upwards of 100 tubas. I don't know how terrible it is because I've never gone, but I have a couple of friends who have played in the show for several years and they have a ball.

Here's a video from last year's concert:

http://www.kennedy-center.org/video/index/M6108

• 2 weeks later...
  • CMS Author
So what's the difference between a tuba and a Sousaphone? I never could quite figure that one out.

The bell of a tuba points upward so it will blend better with the other instruments in the orchestra. A sousaphone, named for the guy who wrote a lot of marches, is for playing in a marching band. The bell points forward so its sound won't get lost among all the other forward-projecting brass instruments. Also, so bird poop or curious squirrels won't fall into it, or something like that.

On the other hand, the baritone horn, and its cousin, the euphonium, plays in the same range as the trombone, but has valves instead of a slide, and the bell points upward. It's also used in marching bands so they don't have to put the trombones up front, where they won't goose the clarinet players.

And this is a Vega Tubaphone (I have one), which can be recognized by the square tubular tone ring with the holes drilled around the inside surface.

fetch?id=31548335

• Members

Both names are often used as one in the same. It is a common mis use. The Tuba is an upright concert instrument as Mike says with the bell pointing to the sky. The Sousaphone is a machine instrument as demonstrated in this article. However Triumph of the Sousaphone didn't have that "ring" to it (no pun intended) ... just kidding ....

Then there are bell from Contras in the Drum Corps world when key of G bugles are used. (A rare commodity these days).

Archived