Da Vinci musical instrument painstakingly constructed, played for first time in almost 500 years!

• Members

At last—a new keyboard with polyphonic aftertouch! And an expression pedal! I hope this is the beginning of a new trend. ;)

Seriously though, as if we needed more proof as to what a visionary Da Vinci was. It's great to see his past vision of the future come alive with the aid of Slawomir Zubrzycki.

I wonder how long it will take before a sample library is produced...

Thanks for sharing this, Ken! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

• Members

So...it's 4-note polyphony, and it sustains like an organ almost...not tempered...there's a sort of vibrato-ish sound from time to time-can't figure that out. A harpsi-hurdy-gurdy.

How many court musicians is this thing going to put out of work!!smiley-angry002.gif

nat whilk ii

• Members
So...it's 4-note polyphony, and it sustains like an organ almost...not tempered...there's a sort of vibrato-ish sound from time to time-can't figure that out. A harpsi-hurdy-gurdy.

How many court musicians is this thing going to put out of work!!smiley-angry002.gif

nat whilk ii

You say it's not tempered? Really? That must be very limiting. No reason it couldn't be tuned ET, though, right?

• Members

You say it's not tempered? Really? That must be very limiting. No reason it couldn't be tuned ET, though, right?

Well, I say just going off my eyes and ears such as they are. That last piece in the video, sounds quite untempered to me in places....but being merely an amateur....

But maybe we'll know for sure - I emailed Mr. Zubrzycki to ask him (the question nested in heaped praises for his creation)

nat whilk ii

• Members

Well, I say just going off my eyes and ears such as they are. That last piece in the video, sounds quite untempered to me in places....but being merely an amateur....

But maybe we'll know for sure - I emailed Mr. Zubrzycki to ask him (the question nested in heaped praises for his creation)

nat whilk ii

Have you heard from him? That was quite a lot of work and interpretation since he's not going off precise notes. Excellent work.

• Members

Have you heard from him? That was quite a lot of work and interpretation since he's not going off precise notes. Excellent work.

Ok, here's the email response Mr.Zubrzycki was kind enough to send back to me -

thank you for your mail!

Yes, it may be tempered, but the point is, that because of vibrato possibility, the tuning depends on my fingers and I can make some modulation of pitch.

Best

sławomir

Hmmm!! I take this to mean that it could be tuned "temperamentally" but, like with an unfretted string instrument, he makes the necessary pitch tweaks on the fly so that's the way he plays it at least. I'm impressed!

Sounds like there's an opportunity for some player to develop techniques and draw a lot of expression out of the beautiful beast.

nat whilk ii

Archived