Wow!! Does this mean I might never have to listen to Muzak again?!?

Anderton

• Members

A company called Doppler labls has apparently amassed $17MM toward creating a "headphone of the future" with a smartphone app that controls what you hear. One of the applications is listed as being able to put people around you who are talking too loudly on "mute," or tailoring your own equalization when you're sitting at a concert.

If this means I can put these headphones on while shopping and not have to hear horrible background music, hell, I'll contribute to the $17MM! The mind boggles...get rid of the neighbor's barking dogs, black ops helicopters flying overhead...the sky's the limit.

• CMS Author

I don't put much faith in those. What I want is one of those universal TV mute keychain fob sized gadgets that they used to sell. I'm finding more of the restaraunts I go to for lunch have a few TVs on with cooking shows or CNN. I'd love to silence them. Story I heard was that they were declared illegal, immoral, or fattening and pulled off the market.

• Members

As an aside, I was visiting my girlfriend's family. They regrettably have some sort of Muzak-like station on their car, and when we borrowed it, the first that came on was a Muzak version of an Enya song. If there were ever an utterly pointless cover, it was this.

• Members
I don't put much faith in those. What I want is one of those universal TV mute keychain fob sized gadgets that they used to sell. I'm finding more of the restaraunts I go to for lunch have a few TVs on with cooking shows or CNN. I'd love to silence them. Story I heard was that they were declared illegal' date=' immoral, or fattening and pulled off the market.[/quote']

TVs in sports bars = okay. TVs in restaurants = best argument yet for the second amendment...hunting televisions.

Once I was in a Howard Johnson restaurant and the music was playing backwards (probably a cartridge that wound itself the wrong way). I pointed this out to the waitress, who listened and said "I don't hear anything wrong." And we wonder why 99 cent earbuds are "just fine" for most people :)

• Members
As an aside' date=' I was visiting my girlfriend's family. They regrettably have some sort of Muzak-like station on their car.[/quote']

Luckily for you, I don't think musical taste is based on genetics.

...and when we borrowed it, the first that came on was a Muzak version of an Enya song. If there were ever an utterly pointless cover, it was this.

My laff for the day :) Thanks, Ken!

Archived