Berklee study: "Anywhere from 20-50 percent of music payments don't make it to their rightful owners"

• Members
A new report released today by the Berklee College of Music's Institute for Creative Entrepreneurship details what it repeatedly calls a "lack of transparency" in the music business. Titled "Transparency and Money Flows," the 28-page report also gives recommendations that highlight the labyrinthine complexity of the current system.

The output of a year-long study, the report cites estimates "that anywhere from 20-50 percent of music payments don't make it to their rightful owners." Proposed fixes include better behind-the-scenes technologies, a "Creator's Bill of Rights," a "Fair Music" seal and education campaigns.

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecor...ys-next-battle

• Members

I left my Ferrari in the Black Box.

And then the Black Box fell into a black hole... and when the Ferrari came out the other end of the dimensional wormhole, some damn label accountant was driving it.

[Not really. I've never been signed or much wanted to be, based on observing the music biz careers of a number of friends and acquaintances.]

• Members

It just occurred to me that maybe part of the problem is that they can't quantify it any better than "20% to 50%." If after a year of study they can't narrow it down any further than that, the music industry must be somewhere beyond opaque.

• Members

I was in the studio one day, playing some keyboards for a session.

We were all getting paid right away. I got paid. The recording engineers got paid. The guy designing the CD cover was getting paid. The people doing the video were getting paid.

The artist/songwriter? No. He'd have to wait.

If the record company recouped its finances, then the artist/songwriter would get paid bi-annually.

Just struck me as funny.

• Members

If one could instantly recoup all the royalties musicians have gotten screwed out of by Labels, managers, et. al. You could probably go a long way towards paying off the National Debt of The United States of America. Unless you got the Government of The United States of America involved. Particularly the Congress of The United States of America. I'll wager if you could go all the way back and get all the money that Troubadours all the way back in time got screwed out of...You could end World Hunger.

As long as there are creative people doing creative things they are compelled by their nature to do, There will be people whose only gifts are those involving separating people from those monies.

Archived