Paul McCartney interviewed about songwriting and more

• Members

Paul McCartney was in Winter Park (greater Orlando) a couple of weeks ago for his stepson's Rollins College graduation. He did this interview while he was there. I hear there was a lottery for tickets for attendees. I found it enlightening hearing him talking about his songwriting with John. Paul is a wonderful story teller. And he's always gracious accepting questions he must have (at times) heard a couple of hundred times. A very gentle spirit.

He says that he's been thinking about the Beatles and working with John a lot lately. I hope he's working on a book about it all.

Added later: I notice he was actually in town last October (2014).

[video=youtube;N8OY2MKVhpY]

• Members

I've been a huge fan since I was in diapers.

If you listen to his music from the Beatles, Wings to his solo work. You'd heard diversity in styles that you don't hear any more from any artist, but back in the day, record labels, promoters and the industry in general, would allow artist to break barriers / genres and take the listener on a ride / journey. Sadly today, the industry frowns on letting new artists to reinvent themselves or mature in the lime light.

Paul McCartney is a monolith of genius, that reminds us of what the power music has over us .... Oddly enough, I was listening to "Wing Span", when I ran across this post :eek2: .... thanks for posting this !!!! :cool11:

• Members

I love PM's work with the Beatles. His inventive bass playing ("Rain" "Day Tripper" (I love the way changes his

he changes his bass line from chorus to chorus) "Something") keeps me listening over and over. His

singing: the quavery "Yesterday" thing he does, the "I'm Down" "Kansas City" blues singer, all the vocal harmonies.

His musical heft. I just listened to "Drive My Car" and played along on the piano- the 1st chord that's formed under

the melody is a dissonant jazz styled chord - from bottom up D-A-F#-C-G is something I'd expect from

Ellington. Oh and Pauls bass playing on "Getting Better". So inventive.

What I'm so curious about is the nuts and bolts of how John and Paul did it. Such as Paul says they

had 3 hour writing sessions. And sometimes Paul would bring something in and John would say it wasn't

good. That seems to have made their work stronger. I don't really like either of their work after the

Beatles. Sorry.

This is a cute clip of them in 1966 interviewed about songwriting. What's so cute are the recordings

of the Brittish crooners of the day (some guy named Matt Monro for example) singing their songs.

Also Lena Horne.

[video=youtube;6sJ0qb1TwIs]

His

singing: the quavery "Yesterday" thing he does, the "I'm Down" "Kansas City" blues singer, all the vocal harmonies.

What I still find amazing to think about, even after all these years, is the fact that the same human being who sang Yesterday also sang I'm Down.

[video=youtube;E8LF3qs6F14]

[video=youtube;lSVspXuxZIY]

Not only did he sing both songs, but he recorded them both on the same day, and at the same recording session. eekphil.gif He actually sang Yesterday after shredding his voice on I'm Down.

Oh, he also recorded I've Just Seen A Face earlier in the day; June 14, 1965 in Studio 2 at Abbey Road - consider that one an added bonus. smile.png

[video=youtube;EzmFACIWl20]

That's pretty amazing stylistic versatility IMO. phil-thumbs-up-small.gif

Archived