FUZZ Guitar Show Report- By Mats Nermark

• Members

great coverage

always nice to see some of the northern european makers, Fredholm, Gnu, Naglitsch, Sandén, Versoul, ...

staying very much under the radar even in Europe

also surprized to see a Fender/Gretsch booth at this show, whereas they were absent at the Musikmesse

and yes, Mats probably uses IE as a browser (still a popular browser in Europe) and since a couple of months it is no longer possible to post on the forums (some language setting conflict ? I dunno), if I want to post something, I switch to FF, but actually would prefer to have a fix for IE at some point ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The SY-300 name seems to give a clue - remember the GR-300, the last guitar synth before Roland turned to the dark side and thought MIDI guitar was the way to go? Of course the GR-300 used a hex pickup, but maybe the DSP analysis is sufficiently good that the unit can separate out individual notes, and send them to different processor "channels." After all, there are only going to be six notes at any given time.

In any event, thanks for the report, Mats! When you say there was a "record number of people," do you have a ballpark figure?

The SY-300 name seems to give a clue - remember the GR-300, the last guitar synth before Roland turned to the dark side and thought MIDI guitar was the way to go? Of course the GR-300 used a hex pickup, but maybe the DSP analysis is sufficiently good that the unit can separate out individual notes, and send them to different processor "channels." After all, there are only going to be six notes at any given time.

That's what I'm thinking too Craig. It's gotten to the point where the technology allows us to identify individual tracks within a mix and extract them, or individual notes within a guitar chord and adjust them... I suspect Boss is using similar technology to do multi-part / polyphonic processing with the SY-300. I can't wait to give one a try!

• Members

That's what I'm thinking too Craig. It's gotten to the point where the technology allows us to identify individual tracks within a mix and extract them, or individual notes within a guitar chord and adjust them... I suspect Boss is using similar technology to do multi-part / polyphonic processing with the SY-300. I can't wait to give one a try!

Ask Roland for a review unit and let us know how it works...seemed to work pretty well at Frankfurt.

• Members

Attendance at this year’s FUZZ Guitar Show was at 3200. The years before was around 3000 for the weekend. Small number compared to NAMM and Frankfurt but really good for a local Scandinavian. That’s probably why there are more and more international interest every year.

I tried the SY-300 at the show and it was good. Realtime response was surprisingly fast.

Archived