Famous Musician Quotes

• Members

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.” – Jimi Hendrix

“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.” Frank Zappa

Music is everybody’s possession. It’s only publishers who think that people own it.” John Lennon

I don’t know anything about music. In my line you don’t have to.” - Elvis Presley

“We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.” – Decca Recording Company, rejecting the Beatles, in 1962

“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.” – Albert Einstein

Musicians don't retire; they stop when there's no more music in them. - Louis Armstrong

Lesser artists borrow. Great artists steal - Igor Stravinsky

There was no one near to confuse me so I was forced to become original - Joseph Hayden

Imagination Creates Reality - Richard Wagner

Works of Art make rules. Rules do not make works of art - Claude Debussy

• CMS Author

"It ain't the horn, it's the mouthpiece" - Louis Armstrong

"I don't play no rock and roll" - Snooks Eaglin

"Where would you like me to stand?" - B. B. King after being apologized to by a stage hand because (a) he was appearing solo, (b) there were no monitors, and © it was a pretty high profile government-sponsored show in Washington

"Oooh! That's a booger." - Earl Scruggs, when requested to play Daybreak in Dixie (he played it, though)

"I have a good memory, but it's a short one." - D. L. Menard

• Members

"Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy (mandolin player and high tenor in the Country Gentlemen and the Seldom Scene)

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr. (Jug player of the Darling Family [which was actually The Dillards] - The Andy Griffith Show)

• Members

A couple more from the country music arena...

"Country music is three chords and the truth." - Harlan Howard

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bob Newhart

Thanks for the welcome - we followed Craig over here from the Sonar forum! :lol:

• Members

A painter paint pictures on Canvas - A musician paints pictures on Silence - Leopold Stokowski

“If one should desire to know whether a kingdom is well governed, if its morals are good or bad, the quality of its music will furnish the answer.” Confucius

Music is what feelings sound like. - Bo Bennitt

Music is a higher revelation then all Wisdom and Philosophy. - Beethoven

Somebody said to me the Beatles were Anti- Materialistic. That's a huge myth. John and I used to sit down and say "Now, Lets write a swimming pool" - Paul McCartney

I’ve never known a musician who regretted being one. Whatever deceptions life may have in store for you, music itself is not going to let you down - Virgil Thompson

Music is the purest form of art... therefore true poets, they who are seers, seek to express the universe in terms of music... The singer has everything within him. The notes come out from his very life. They are not materials gathered from outside. - Rabindranath Tagore

• CMS Author

"I guess all songs is folk songs. I never heard no horse sing 'em." - Big Bill Broonzy

"If you only get one song, it has to be Bullfrog Blues" - David Bromberg, from he was a backup musician and occasionally got a guest spot

Not all of these are from musicians, but they're all musically relevant IMO:

"It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine." Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

"Never had one lesson!" - Ferris Bueller (Ferris Bueller's Day Off)

"All I’ve got is a red guitar, three chords and the truth." - Bob Dylan, All Along The Watchtower

"I quote John Lennon: 'I don't believe in Beatles. I just believe in me.' A good point there. After all, he was the walrus. I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off of people." -Ferris Bueller (Ferris Bueller's Day Off)

"We were the biggest nickers in town. Plagiarists extraordinaire" - Paul McCartney

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again." - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

• Members

Thanks for the welcome - we followed Craig over here from the Sonar forum! :lol:

Glad you stopped by! The pool is to the left as you walk past the spa (about 100 feet from the cafe). Please remember to put the towels back in the hamper when you're done.

• Members

Some Quotes by the King. RIP

The way I feel today, as long as my health is good and I can handle myself well and people still come to my concerts, still buy my CDs, I'll keep playing until I feel like I can't. B. B. King

When you don't have much money, you worry that they'll just put you in the ground someplace and your loved ones won't know where you are. B. B. King

It seems like I always had to work harder than other people. Those nights when everybody else is asleep, and you sit in your room trying to play scales. B. B. King

I don't like to feel like I owe anything. I like to feel that I pay my own way - There's no free lunch. B. B. King

I tried to connect my singing voice to my guitar an' my guitar to my singing voice. Like the two was talking to one another. B. B. King

When people treat you mean, you dislike them for that, but not because of their person, who they are. I was born and raised in a segregated society, but when I left there, I had nobody I disliked other than the people that'd mistreated me, and that only lasted for as long as they were mistreating me. B. B. King

I never wanted to be like other blues singers. I might like hearing them play, but I've never wanted to be anyone other than myself. There are a few people that I've wished I could play like, but when I tried, it didn't work. B. B. King

A lot of people believe what other people say. B. B. King

Jazz is the big brother of the blues. If a guy's playing blues like we play, he's in high school. When he starts playing jazz it's like going on to college, to a school of higher learning. B. B. King

I just wonder where I was when the talent was being given out, like George Benson, Kenny Burrell, Eric Clapton... oh, there's many more! I wouldn't want to be like them, you understand, but I'd like to be equal, if you will. B. B. King

I've said that playing the blues is like having to be black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed on both counts, but I never noticed. B. B. King

If you can't get your songs to people one way, you have to find another. B. B. King

I don't try to just be a blues singer - I try to be an entertainer. That has kept me going. B. B. King

fetch?id=31489574

b718e91e97cb54c3115aad2d913897b3.png.19370d776e92417ff6ada3ca2ab0aa13.png

Archived