Behringer Purchases TC Group

• Members

Interesting. I wasn't aware Behringer was part of Music Group and that Music group has all those other companies. Something should have sent up a red flag when I saw Behringer Mixers using Midas Preamps. Allot of times companies trade technology like that but Music Group must have already owned Midas and done some cross breeding. I'll be curious to see some of the TC Electronics spread to other gear. Might be just what those products need.

• Members

TC is not so much a brand as a set of patents, technologies and design parameters. They bought the technology to no doubt incorporate

their chipsets and algorythymic approach into their digital line, which I think would be a great addition, if interfaced properly. I would think B would likely carry on with the small scale manufacture of the pedals line as well. Also a good thing since B has finally caught up to 21st century manufacturing quality control and expertise.

• CMS Author

I think we have a winner...like how the digital mixer owed a lot to the engineering in the Midas consoles.

Remember that Behringer had the DDX3216 digital console in 2001 back when Midas was firmly entrenched in analog console technology. Since the acquisition of Midas, Behringer's mixers have had a mic preamp facelift from the Midas folks, but the X32 was an independent development. In fact, Midas' small digital console borrows a whole lot from the Behringer X32. The software guts are identical with only some user interface changes that make it more friendly for live use. It has better preamps than the X32 and better faders, but that's about it.

I won't say that it's a bad thing for Behringer to have a "no conflict" avenue to Midas engineering and I'm sure it will benefit them in places. Similarly, we may see some TC technology in Behringer's digital projects similar to how Soundcraft has incorporated dbx processors into their digital consoles now that dbx is "family."

Uli Behringer may be a little odd in some ways, but he isn't dumb when it comes to business.

• CMS Author
So Behringer is finally going to shake off that air of "low end crap" espoused by so many music gear elitists?

I think they shook off the "crap" part a few years ago when they got their China campus running on all cylinders. I think that they'll always be "low end" because that's what their production is tailored to - build a whole lot of a certain product and then move on. The world won't accept a $2500 mic preamp branded "Behringer" but they might accept one built in the same factory and branded "Midas" if it stood up to Midas' reputation, which it could if designed properly.

Archived