What's your main instrument?

Folder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I like to say that piano/keyboards and vocals are my main instrument. I often do both concurrently, and rarely separately (except when recording of course).

My second instrument is bass.

Guitar would be a distant third.

And then drums and saxophone would be squaring off for 4th place.

• Members

Player of many, master of none. For a while it was one third guitar, one third keys and one third bass. Now it's mostly acoustic guitar and piano, but trumpet and harmonica are also up there. Trumpet is kind of like some sports - you have to stay in shape or you won't have endurance. Bought a tenor uke last year to help my granddaughter learn on hers. In all, though, it's the guitars that get the most play, followed by keys.

• Members

Right now I guess you could say that my main instrument is keyboards because that's what I have been focusing on lately. But there have been times where it's reversed and I would have to say guitar was my main instrument.

I tend to write more music on keyboards than I do on guitar. Also the music I write on keyboards is more harmonically complex that the stuff I tend to write on guitar and I can understnad music theory better from the perpective of the keyboard.

I think I can improvise much better on the guitar though. If you can play in one key you can play in any key on the guitar. The finger patterns are all the same. Not so on keyboards. Each key has a completely different fingering pattern and there are only a few keys that I feel comfortable playing in on the piano.

If I had to choose one or the other for a jam session I would certainly choose guitar because I feel like I could wing it better than I could on the piano.

Of course guitar is also just a whole lot more fun to play than the piano. smiley-happy

• Members

More or less, in this order:

piano

acoustic guitar (steel string or classical, plectrum or fingerpicked, standard or alternate tunings)

Rhodes/Hammond

electric guitar

synthesizer

harmonica

woodwinds (but no longer own any, so way out of practice! Plus I never quite learned the upper registers on flute and clarinet.)

Instrument I wish I could play: marimba!

Archived