This Mashup Proves Sam Smith's "Stay With Me" Is a Tom Petty Song

techristian

• Members
If George Harrison had released "My Sweet Lord" in the 21st Century he would not have had to buy Bright Tunes.
It was a super complex case, not least because of behavior by former Beatles manager, Allen Klein, who actively worked against Harrison's interests. Klein's behavior was labeled 'duplicitous' by one of the courts involved.

• Members

Imagine Hari's frustration after being a songwriter in a band with Lennon and McCartney and finally breaking free only to discover his song had already been written by somebody else.

Klien was a snake who sought to profit from the phenomenal success of "My Sweet Lord" but was only awarded the amount of money he paid for the song.

I thought John Belushi's "Ron Decline" was brilliant.

• Members
I`m missing something, clue me in.

The "unconscious plagiarism" that George Harrison was convicted of in the "He's So Fine" / "My Sweet Lord" lawsuit seems mild compared to what is going on these days. Bright Tunes was the copyright holder of "He's So Fine" at the time and Harrison ended buying the entire Bright Tunes catalogue as a way of dealing with the issue once and for all.

Interestingly enough, the actual inspiration for "My Sweet Lord" was "O Happy Day" by the Edwin Hawkins Singers.

Archived