I did not under-inflate my guitar on the last gig

Notes_Norton

• Members

While I've been fortunate than most in that I've never had a job that I couldn't stand that latest more than a couple of weeks, I've also never had a career that didn't become somewhat drudgery once it kicks into "full time" status. Which included being a musician. As much as I love playing music, there were always those gigs I took "just for the pay" that were a drag but I needed to pay the bills.

I'm pretty happy with the balance I have with my life right now between playing music and my "day" job. I could probably kick the band Into full time status easily enough, but to do so would require making other sacrifices and commitments that would likely end up sucking most of the fun out of it for me.

Been there; done that.

But yes, a bad day playing music beats a good day doing just about anything else. :thu:

• Members

I'm weird. I've played music for a living for most of my life, and the thrill is still there.

I'm old enough to retire now, but have no plans to do so. What would I do? Fish? I'd rather gig. Play golf? I'd rather gig. Go on cruises? I gigged on ships for 3 years, and I'd rather play music than be in the audience. Playing music is my second favorite thing to do - the most fun I can have with my clothes on ;)

When I get on stage, the concepts of space and time are gone, there is no self, and I have no age, it's my bliss.

I know a lot of people who got burned out on the business end of it. I still love it. Lucky, I guess.

I suppose I could have made more money as an engineer, but my house is paid for, I live in a good neighborhood, and am living a very, very happy life.

I feel lucky.

Notes

• Members

Loving what you do is the most important thing.

For me---I got burned out on too many Tuesday nights for empty rooms and just getting through the night Waiting for the Weekend. I still get the same thrill from being on stage that I got when I started doing this at age 15, but just playing isn't enough. I need the audience there. I can "just play" at home and not have to drag my gear around and get to bed earlier.

I never wanted to stop loving playing music so I found other stuff to do on the slow nights. :)

• Members

Guido, I remember those dull, rehearsal Tuesday nights. Still better than a day gig. Try out new songs, practice the ones you don't have quite down yet, and play for the other band members, just like you did when you were a kid in the garage.

I started this duo with my wife in 1985. We did cruise ships for a few years, no Tuesday night crowds there, a full room every night. We set revenue records for the 3 lounges we played in, and were rewarded with a passenger sized cabin with a porthole. That's a big coup on a cruise ship. The management looks at the bar receipts to see where the passengers are hanging out at night.

About 25 years ago I got into the yacht club, country club, private party, retirement development end of the biz. I remember when I was younger, the old timers tell me once you go there, you will never go back to the night clubs -- and for me they were correct.

I average 2 or 3 days a week (more in 'season' and less in the summer) and make as much as I did doing 6 nights in the clubs. There is always an audience and no pressure to fill the room. And at the end of the night, people thank us for giving them a wonderful evening.

There is a down side, those 2 or 3 days are indeed long ones, as we have to set up and tear down every day. So I suppose the same number of hours are put in. But I don't have to pay for gym membership just to lift heavy things - I do "Speaker-cise" ;)

Add the cruise gig, and we haven't had one of those "Tuesday night" crowds in 30 years.

Speaking of Tuesdays, the only 'in public' gig we do is Tuesday afternoons at a marina. It's our 7th straight year. It's outdoors and customers bring lawn chairs because we have built the crowd up so much that they sit in the parking lot or on the shore of the lagoon. Management gave us a big raise this year - and we didn't even ask for one - because of the business we bring in. We love the crowd, and the regulars are like extended family to us. We know their names, favorite songs, and much about their personal lives. They sing along, participate in our running gags, and bring us joy every week. Some even e-mail us to apologize on those weeks that they cannot make it. I'd do this gig for free if I was independently wealthy.

A wise person once said, "If you make a living doing what you would do for free, you will never work a day in your life." And other than those 2 day jobs, I've never worked a day in my life.

I live life on my own terms, I do not answer to a boss, I make my own decisions and either gain or learn from them, when on the job people are dancing and applauding me, my partner and I are in our bliss, and the night ends all too soon. I'm having so much fun I seldom take the breaks that I'm allowed. Why should I stop playing? I'm having a ball and so is the audience. It's the most fun I can have with by clothes on.

I wish everybody could be as happy with their job as I am with mine.

WRGKMC, I can't take it backstage on break, my wife would get jealous ;)

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members
I wish everybody could be as happy with their job as I am with mine.

I wish that for everyone as well, And have no doubt that I am. In big part because I made sure to have a career that allows me the freedom to play music as much as I want and only the gigs I want.

Playing music for so many years made it virtually impossible to be anything other than self-employed. Life is good. Glad to hear it is for you as well. :thu:

Archived