Gibson smokestack

UstadKhanAli

• Members

Pardon my crassness, but why the 'save the smokestack' movement?

It's all history. There's no way to write the next chapter of life if you keep re-reading the prior chapters...

And, in the interests of equal time, where is the 'Save the toilets of the Fender factory' movement in all this?

• Members

I don't know much either. My understanding is that the factory is really run down and not in a wonderful section of town. Henry has done several "saving of historical things" involving Gibson, but I haven't heard anything from him about this...not that I necessarily would, though, it's not really my bailiwick.

My assumption is that it would take a fair amount of time, money, and future maintenance to keep the smokestack from falling down of its own volition, and to no real end...it's not part of a tourist attraction and I don't think the factory itself is serving any useful purpose. But again, that's an assumption. I'm definitely in favor of preserving the past when there's some kind of significance, but I'm not sure it's anything other than a factory smokestack with "Gibson" written on the side.

• Members

I don't know about anyone else, but that thing is an eye sore in comparison to their product line. I don't see something that run down looking doing anything for the company other then saving them money hiring in the low rent area of town and if its unsound, it should be taken down. I'm just surprised Gibson still has a facility that is so run down looking. You'd think they would want a modernized facility to keep up with their competition, so my advice would be, take a picture, it lasts longer.

• Members

Seeing Craig works there why doesn't he just clip his fingernails off and auction those. I mean really.

I guess I shouldn't be so hard. There's a place in this world for everyone including idiots who think a smoke stack on a building might be some Holy landmark or something. On the other hand, most environmentalists against Gibson cant wait to have its factories torn down. I doubt any in that crowd would miss seeing it go.

I'm sure it is / was a valued local landmark, and a reminder of the days when Gibson was in Kalamazoo, but those days are long gone. Gibson apparently doesn't own the smokestack anymore, and it is an eyesore and apparently in some danger of collapsing, so it's a safety hazard. I don't blame some of the locals for wanting to preserve it, but I don't blame the authorities for wanting to take it down. Either way, I don't see why it's any concern of Gibson's whatsoever - they moved to Nashville in 1984. As Craig said, beyond the name on the smokestack, there's no connection with them, and there hasn't been for ages.

• Members

Reminds me of my last residence. It was an old house sure but it was well kept up. Thinking back, at 12 years it was the one place where I'd lived the longest. We put a good deal of effort and expense into painting and touching up the place before I had it listed with the realtor only to be bought up by the nearby school and within a year leveled!

To add insult to injury six months after the sale the county auditor sent me a letter stating that the tax bill on the place was in the rears, uhmm, that's not my problem. About a year later I received notice that if I didn't pay the taxes the property would be sold at auction. Apparently the county was still not aware that the school district had purchased the place and already flattened it?!

Anyway, on the bright side I did make $14K on the sale which went to my new car fund!

• Members

On the other hand, most environmentalists against Gibson cant wait to have its factories torn down.

And they still don't realize that the Feds didn't find any illegally sourced wood, and the confiscated wood was returned to Gibson. The legal fees were getting insane, so Gibson paid them some money and got them to go away. Brian Majeski of Music Trades magazine summed up the Feds' position as "You didn't do anything wrong, just don't do it again."

Then again Gibson used the returned wood to make the Government Series guitars. Npt sure they cpvered the legal bills, though :)

• Members
Maybe they could slice the bricks thin and laser cut them into fingerboard inlays or purfling for a Smokestack Commemeroative model guitar. They could sell it for $2,000 more than the standard model.

And call it the "Up in Smoke" signature guitar for Cheech and Chong!

• Members
Maybe they could slice the bricks thin and laser cut them into fingerboard inlays or purfling for a Smokestack Commemeroative model guitar. They could sell it for $2,000 more than the standard model.

The Paul have already weighs as much as a cinder Block. May as well add a reason for it to weigh that much.

Archived