anybody know anything about Griffin products? (specifically: tripod microphone boom stand, cables, mic holders)

stewlyons

• CMS Author
i need some microphone stands' date=' basically, and see a good deal on ebay sold by ace, produced by griffin. are these products any good? are they made overseas? what is the deal? any info you could give me. thanks.[/quote']

There are lots of Griffins in this business. Griffin Technology makes good stuff. This isn't them. Need you ask if they're made overseas? Isn't everything that's that cheap? China, I'm sure.

If you want a $15 boom mic stand (and a $5 cable and a 75 cent clip) that's what you'll get. It'll probably be OK for gentle home studio use with small mics. Take it on a few gigs and you'll be looking for a replacement in a year. If there's a Guitar Center near you, look at their comparably priced mic stands and you'll have a pretty good idea of what you'll get if you order this "good deal."

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Musician-s-Gear-Tripod-Mic-Stand-with-Fixed-Boom--2-Pack--582353-i1447408.gc

• Members

thanks. i understand all that, but i was hoping someone who actually has used this companies products could have told me whether they were better than expected, or not. another question: does anybody know of a good deal for mic stands, mic stand carry bag, mic cables, mic holders? where i'd be getting a good value for the money. i know it's subjective, and kind of all about getting what you pay for, but i was hoping someone out there could point me to a real steal. thanks,

• CMS Author

I'd say that you get good value for your money with that Griffin deal. But since you're not spending much money, you won't be getting a lot of value. The mic stands that I've been using for more than 40 years are still available today for about $60-70. The new ones aren't quite as good as the old ones, but they still do a better job of holding mics up than the cheap knockoffs.

For $20, you'll get a stand that will hold your small mics up for a while. If you take really good care of them, they might last you several years. But if it's a regular working tool for you, you'll get better value in the long run by buying better quality at the start. A mic stand is a physical thing. You can look at it, feel it, adjust it, and get a sense of whether you'll like using it. It's not like a compressor or an equalizer that you'll learn more about (for better or worse) the more you use it.

I don't normally use the expressin "you get what you pay for" but in this case, it applies. There isn't going to be a single manufacturer who can make a significantly better $20 mic stand than any other one, and chances are most of those in that price range probably are made by the same manufacturer anyway.

Want a good value for the money microphone? Companies like Audio-Technica, Studio Projects, or MXL won't sell you a Neumann-like mic for pennies on the dollar but they'll sell you a mic that's good enough to continue to use for a long time, even after you get some mics that are better. But a light duty non-precision mic stand will give up the ghost after a fairly short period of use. If you're still using mics, you'll need to replace the stand.

• CMS Author

Like anything else, you should look at the reviews before ordering.

C'mon . . who reviews cheap mic stands?

You can buy really cheap tires for your car and they'll work for a while, too, but will probabably wear out or fail outright sooner than better tires. But it depdends on how much you drive your car, and where.

• CMS Author
I've always believed that you get what you pay for. Griffin products made to support apple products are top drawer. Not sure about those mic stands however ...

D

I'm pretty sure those are two different Griffins. Griffin Technology makes the iConnect, iMic, and other iStuff, but no mic stands that I see on their web site. But they do have headphones with real wood backs, which I recall wondering about when I saw them at a show.

Archived