How Do I Use My Keyboard To Programme Drums?

Mark L

• Members

On the last song I did (and also the one on which I'm working), I've been using my mouse and the piano roll to programme drums. I'm using Impact on PreSonus Studio One, by the way

It takes forever. There must be a way that I can use my Yamaha keyboard to do this more quickly. The keyboard has a midi out, my interface has a midi in, and I have a midi cable. There has to be a way to link these together, but I don't know how to do it

If you can link me to a video or even explain it in non-gobbledegook terms, I'd be very grateful :)

• Members

you could play them like you play a keyboard, with the drums mapped to notes on your keyboard.

one note is the bass drum, another note is the snare, and play them back and forth: boom chick boom boom chick, boom chick boom boom chick....

then add high hats.... chicka chicka chicka chickaaaa chicka chicka chicka chickaaaa....

• Members
I don't know how to 'map' drums

I have much to learn...

it's easier than it sounds. for most things you can just plug your keyboard into some kind of a MIDI program with drums, and there they are, sounding on your keyboard. You just play the keyboard and... boom.. chick... splash... etc.

• Members

A lot depends on the synth you are using. Many of them go to drum patches if you set the keyboard to send on MIDI Channel 10. Even a General MIDI program dialed up on the synth will do drums if sent notes on Ch. 10, though it might not sound as good as setting your synth to a specific drum patch.

I often play the drums from the keyboard. It's a little tricky if you've actually drummed before; the kick drum keys are just left of the snare drum keys (there are usually two of each). Mine are around notes A2, B2, C3. The high hat is F#3, G#3 and A#3, for closed, loose and open high hat.

(the 2 & 3 are the octave numbers of the notes, as MIDI sees them.)

I used to record the midi, but found it a lot simpler to just record the synth output audio directly, as a stereo track. That way when I get the sound I want, I won't accidentally use the wrong drum patch some time in the future. I just commit to the sound, and drive on.

I usually do one pass doing kick, snare and toms with an occasional crash, then do a another track to do ride cymbals or high hat parts.

I hope this makes sense, or at least gives you something to try...

• Members

Just in case its not obvious, the dude in the 2nd video is ridiculously good. That is an art right there that takes years of practice.

Just for the record, I hardly do my drums like this… 1) because I`m not good at it and 2) I`m not that creative.

I grab loops in EZ Drummer for each section of the song I`m working on, import it into the DAW (DP8), and then tweak the loops so they match what I`m hearing in my head. I spend a lot of time on drums and bass. Probably as much time as vocals… When the drums are the way I want them, I`ll then tweak each sound further… for example, sometimes the snare will get its own reverb, the kick may get some limiting of its own so you get that steady thump, etc…

Drum libraries are amazingly good now so its a lot easier than it used to be but still, mimicking what an actual drummer will play is often the hardest part, especially on fills.

Archived