Tunecore, CD Baby etc.

Mark L

• Members

I'm starting to use DistroKid, which is much cheaper [one annual fee -- $20 for one artist and other tiers for multiple; they take no cut of the stream or sale royalty payout according to their materials] and has been endorsed by the founders of both TuneCore and CDBaby. (Both of them have left the companies they started, mind you.)

It's very minimal (it's run by robots but then ain't everything these days) but I did get a satisfactory human response when my test upload didn't seem to get taken up into the stores on my first try. (It was there within a day or two after talking to them, though.) Not much experience with them to go on at this point.

http://distrokid.com

• Members

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Do you want to sell CDs on-line? Or sell individual tracks? Or just get your music out there?

For selling CDs, you're better off setting up your own web page storefront (unless you're going to be selling 1000's or more).

For just getting your music to listeners, you're better off posting YouTube videos.

For selling individual tracks, well, you're going to starve to death waiting for that first $0.12 check to arrive... ;)

• Members
It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Do you want to sell CDs on-line? Or sell individual tracks? Or just get your music out there?

For selling CDs, you're better off setting up your own web page storefront (unless you're going to be selling 1000's or more).

For just getting your music to listeners, you're better off posting YouTube videos.

For selling individual tracks, well, you're going to starve to death waiting for that first $0.12 check to arrive... ;)

I just want to get my stuff 'out there'

I've no illusions about making any money out of music, but it'd be nice if some random person happened to hear one of my tunes whilst browsing on Spotify or some such thing :)

• Members

I think the key here is to keep distribution and marketing separate in your mind. CD Baby, TuneCore, etc are distribution for other marketing efforts. They may tout marketing, but nobody goes there to buy music. I find Reverb Nation's offering interesting in that you can set up a web page to post YouTube videos, tracks, manage email list, etc for marketing AND they can connect you to sell stuff on iTunes.

I totally agree to just get it out there where people can hear it. I would suggest having the distribution ready in case something hits.

Archived