OT: Geico vs. AAA

Anderton

• Members

I was up in New Jersey attending to my mother while she was in hospice prior to her death. I was pretty broken up about it and not "all there." As a result I left the lights on in her car when I went to see her, and when visiting hours were over...so were the lights. It was 9:30 on a Sunday night.

She had AAA, so I called. I got connected to some guy who needed to connect me to someone who needed to check with someone about something. About 20 minutes later I was told that AAA was associated with the person, not the car. I explained the situation and that my mother wanted me to use her AAA, but was told my only option was to sign up for AAA myself, and they'd get the paperwork done and eventually they could send someone out.

Well, I have Geico and I called them for roadside attendance. The attentive (and unlike AAA, awake) lady said the insurance went with the car, not the person. I explained the situation and she said that if she could get permission from my mom, she could take care of it. Well, I had to wake mom up and said "Mom, just say 'It's okay,'" which she did. That was good enough for Geico. She told me to expect someone within 1 hour. 15 minutes later, a guy showed up and got the car started.

Bottom line: No, I'm not going to sign up for AAA.

• Members

That sounds like a frustrating experience, Craig.

But more importantly, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. You have my sincere condolences, my friend.

My impression is that you've had quite a trying year when it comes to the well-being of your loved ones. I hope that your grieving process is bearable and that your wife's and daughter's health improves soon.

Take care,

Geoff

• Members

I think maybe I used AAA once, don't remember, guess that's a good thing.

However, here in Massachusetts, the gutless whores the dim witted electorate keep putting in office voted in a law automatically increasing the gas tax to the CPI. The state has been collecting revenue in excess of projections for years, so there is no crisis, they just want as much as they can grab, without any accountability (they voted themselves automatic pay raises years ago).

Even here, that was considered a bit much, and a grass-roots organization got a ballot question added so voters could directly remove the law. AAA bought fairly extensive advertising opposing the repeal. I do not give money to people that are out to harm me, so I didn't renew, and never will.

• Members

Craig: We've talked, but I say (having failed to mention it)- my Dad passed away in 1992. He was 52. I turn 52 this coming week, and now suddenly, I will see everyday as a gift (even more so than before). Having said that, from experience, ... you never will get "over" your Mom dying. You'll learn to cope with it, but you'll never get over it. You'll learn to accept it, but never get over it.

By even today's standards, your Mom lived a very long life. You can rejoice in that.

As to AAA, I've always had good experiences, but hey, ... we are in the South. :)

Keep your chin up!

D

• Members

Thanks everyone for the support. It has indeed been a tough year, I must say that Gibson has been a big help. And there are a lot of kind people in Nashville, which hasn't hurt either. My logical mind says Mom lived 94 years, had a good life, was clear as a bell up to the end, we didn't have any issues to resolve, and didn't suffer too much on the way out...but logic only takes you so far. I still miss my Dad and brother...

Archived