Apple deleted rivals’ songs from users’ iPods

WRGKMC

• Members

I would call it inappropriate. If I purchase a song from vendor A and vendor B deletes the songs, thats just wrong.

Apple is overstepping its bounds here. The U2 release was not a big deal to me because I had a choice in the matter. However, if I found out Apple or another company was deleting tunes or files from my devices, I would be a bit tickled.

• Members

I may use some Apple products, but it's reasons like this that I'm definitely not an Apple homer.

But on the other hand, do you think U2 every single iTunes user a couple of free tickets to their upcoming tour?

If iTunes users don't want one, they can simply delete it from their account. ;)

• Members

I was going to post my usual Apple rant, and saying this is "Apple as usual!" I don't like Apple products because I don't like being treated like I don't know what's best for me, and I don't like being forced to use a single source for my purchases, etc. But I usually follow up by saying that Apple does make great products that I heartily recommend to certain kinds of people, and that I'm not a shareholder but would have been happy to be (buying in at a lower price!) However, this isn't Apple as usual. It's significantly worse than what they're typically famous for, most of that being defensible.

This is indefensible. This is just as bad as when Microsoft made deals with hardware manufacturers where a Windows license was implicitly bought for every computer built, even if it wasn't going to run Windows. It's the kind of restraint of trade that should be illegal, and I hope the lawsuit is successful and Apple gets delivered a lesson.

• Members

The unanswered question to me is "what is a rival service?" If it was MusicMatch, that's indefensible. If it's a torrent, it's very defensible if was music that was supposed to be exclusive to iTunes. The former is restraint of trade, the latter is IP protection.

• Members

I keep allot of my own music on my computers, usually many different computers and many different drives. I had an instance where I had allot of my music files damaged. I've long suspected the cause to be something internet related, like some seek and destroy scanner went in there and removed file tags or something. The music was still there but it was unplayable. Highly distorted and nothing but static. I tried to use different software and editor programs to open the files and restore them but didn't have any luck.

This is a key reason why I disconnect my DAW and backup computers from the internet. I haven't lost any files since then on those computers. I have however started having issues with the music files on this internet computer. I can play the music files on this computer but when I copy them to a thumb drive I loose the wave file tags and the music wont play back on other systems. I haven't found the cause of this yet but I suspect its some windows update or software overstepping its authority. I'd like to find the cause coming from some major company so I can sure their asses off for damaging private property. In the mean time I make many backups to my extensive original digital recording collection that's grown to over 5000 songs over the past 25 years.

• Members
The unanswered question to me is "what is a rival service?" If it was MusicMatch, that's indefensible. If it's a torrent, it's very defensible if was music that was supposed to be exclusive to iTunes. The former is restraint of trade, the latter is IP protection.
How does Apple/ iTunes even know wether an .mp3 is one of your own or a legally bought song from wherever and an illegal torrent download?

Archived