Sonar issue

WRGKMC

• Members

I been experimenting allot more with side chaining lately. The stock compressors that come with Sonar are recognized when I right click on a track as a send source OK.

I have other comp plugins that don't seem to have their side chain ability listed when I have them in a aux buss for some reason. Others like the Voxengo Plugin's list three triggers.

I'm wondering is its caused by non standard plugin software code, or weather its an issue with sonar. If anyone has had this issue I'd appreciate their input. Like I said the plugins that come with sonar are fine. I right click on the tracks audio output and it lists the plugins in the aux busses that have side chaining. For others that are side chainable there's nothing listed. I did check out the plugins options too. Some have buttons to activate the side chain but there's still nothing listed under sonar.

• Members

You'd probably get a wider variety of answers in the Sonar forum at cakewalk.com. If you list some specific plug-ins where a sidechain input does not appear, let me know...if I have them as well, I can check. I think (don't quote me on this) the sidechaining protocol might have become more "formalized" with VST3, even though it was available in VST 2.4. Several programs seem to have experienced at least some ambiguities with VST 3 support.

• Members
You'd probably get a wider variety of answers in the Sonar forum at cakewalk.com. If you list some specific plug-ins where a sidechain input does not appear, let me know...if I have them as well, I can check. I think (don't quote me on this) the sidechaining protocol might have become more "formalized" with VST3, even though it was available in VST 2.4. Several programs seem to have experienced at least some ambiguities with VST 3 support.

Eventide Ultra Channel is one. I'm Running Sonar 8.5

• Members
In my experience most compressor plugins, for some reason, do not support side-chaining.

Yea I realize that. Its why I specifically mentioned side chainable comps.The side chain feature has to be written in as part of the software code. Many budget comps don't have that feature.

I was looking for some different flavors other then the ones that come with sonar like the Sonitus and Vintage Channel. They may have a few others in there but those were the stock ones I got to work.

I don't normally use those in aux or mains busses. The Sonitus tends to be hissy, and the Vintage tends to pump to much. I have some plain comps which I prefer.

I think there is a multiband comp in there I might try. I also have to look and see if my old Waves plugins have side chaining. I have the C1 comp and it should have side chaining. I'll have to see if sonar recognizes it. In the specs it says sonar X2 vst & vst3. Not sure about the older version of C1 running with 8.5

I also have a ton of rare free ones that may have it. Sonar does have to have some unique qualities. It dates way back when you has to use VST scanner to recognize plugins. They eventually incorporated that scanner into sonar and its not always reliable. I occasionally have an issue where sonar doesn't find the plugins when opening a project. The scanner is slow as sin too. You can tell it where to scan but it still goes through every drive and folder looking for plugins.

I haven't tried the X versions yet. Maybe that has been improved.

• Members

They eventually incorporated that scanner into sonar and its not always reliable. I occasionally have an issue where sonar doesn't find the plugins when opening a project. The scanner is slow as sin too. You can tell it where to scan but it still goes through every drive and folder looking for plugins.

I haven't tried the X versions yet. Maybe that has been improved.

That was changed completely. Scanning now occurs in the background, and when the scan's complete a little toast notification tells you the number of plug-ins, how many were added, how many were removed, and any errors in case you want to scan failed plug-ins later. Don't recall if 8.5's plug-in manager gave you as much control over what does and does not get scanned, as well as what gets scanned.

I don't have 8.5 installed so can't be of much help with respect to what it does with side-chaining...FYI Cakewalk offers a 30-day free trial of X3 with no limitations, you can save and all that. There's definitely a learning curve if you're used to 8.5, but you can at least see if the VST3 support has any effect on sidechaining.

• Members

I'm probably going to get X1 Producer some time in the near future if its still available. I'm running Vista on my main DAW and X2 and X3 are Win 7/8 only. Its kind of weird because Vista and 7 are nearly identical.

I do have Win 7 on my older DAW and could transfer it to my DAW but I dread having to switch. Why mess with something that working well until you have to. My Vista daw runs exceptionally well and I really don't want to spending weeks tweaking a new DAW up just to change the OS. Maybe if I find a good deal on X3 producer I'll do it, but for now, there's no huge need.

I made the transition from Windows XP straight to Windows 7 (bypassing Vista entirely) and had no major issues.

As far as why Vista isn't supported, I really don't know for sure, but it may be simply because Vista is no longer available.... although I've heard similar reports about Win 7 and Vista being very similar - at least once all the service packs and patches are applied to Vista.

Archived