Best music recording you've NEVER heard?

Vito Corleone

• Members

Well, I have no idea about the sound quality, since I've never heard it. But I've never heard the album "Marquee Moon" by Television. This seminal (so I'm told) album turns up on all sorts of "best of" and "most influential" lists but, for whatever set of reasons, it managed to slip past me at the time of its release and I've never yet had a reason to check it out.

I suppose I should someday but, then again, I've made it this long.....

• Members

I'm sure there's lots. First of all, I've never owned or streamed or otherwise paid much attention to Pink Floyd, so the big famous best-recorded album of theirs everyone mentions...which name escapes me at the moment...it has that rainbow thing on the cover...I've never sat and listened to, just heard snippets on the radio and...lose interest. I did give The Wall a try I recall many years ago...tried to strike the match but it would never light. I won't bother reciting my critical response...what's the use?

As a follow-up experience, since so many people rave about Gilmour's guitar playing, I streamed some of his newer stuff a while back and wow, I thought it was awful. I'm not joking.

That's just me :) ...sorry.

nat whilk ii

• Members
Then don't stream his newer stuff. Stream the beautiful stuff he's known for.

Can you give me some track or album name to check out? I try to keep an open mind and I'd much rather learn to like stuff than just be negative.....and I should qualify my earlier comments by mentioning the one Pink Floyd song I do like a lot - Comfortably Numb, which I assume is a Gilmour showcase, right?

nat whilk ii

• Members

Can you give me some track or album name to check out? I try to keep an open mind and I'd much rather learn to like stuff than just be negative.....and I should qualify my earlier comments by mentioning the one Pink Floyd song I do like a lot - Comfortably Numb, which I assume is a Gilmour showcase, right?

nat whilk ii

That's certainly a good one. I think his skill is how his solos are almost like songs in themselves, developing beautifully.

For much of my life, I didn't "get" David Gilmour. And I don't know why, but it just sorta clicked one day, how elegant and beautiful his melodies are, and how beautiful his tone is. He's not my favorite guitarist, but I feel like I "get" what he's doing.

nat whilk ii

Yup - that's Gilmour. He played pretty much all the guitar solos on post Piper At The Gates of Dawn Pink Floyd records.

Here's a few of his solos I have always liked... Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2 (solo starts at about 2:10)

[video=youtube;34ZmKbe5oG4]

Here - Have A Cigar - one of the best pokes in the eye the music industry ever got. ;) (solo at ~3:15)

[video=youtube;4sVShT6nVTA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sVShT6nVTA

Time (solo at 3:12)

[video=youtube;JwYX52BP2Sk]

How can you not love a successful song that's in 7? Money (solo at 3:00)

[video=youtube;cpbbuaIA3Ds]

• Members

Oh geez... I just thought of a better answer. Other than My Sweet Lord, of course, I've never heard George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass". Made even more stunning by the fact that I bought a copy of it a couple of years back when they issued a 40th Anniversary edition (or whatever it was). It's still on my shelf unplayed. :facepalm:

• Members
Solo on Money is in 4' date=' though. According to Gilmour, he couldn't come up with a good solo in 7, so they changed the meter n that section. Turned out to be a brilliant move, of course.[/quote']

I'd never listened to it that closely, to be honest. But I find this fascinating because our guitarists decided that for the new song that's written in 7, they're doing the guitar solo/duet in 6. That works really well too, seems to have been a good choice on their part.

So to go off on a tangent, are there any good guitar solos you could point out in 7 in rock music, or is this a general thing?

Solo on Money is in 4' date=' though. According to Gilmour, he couldn't come up with a good solo in 7, so they changed the meter n that section. Turned out to be a brilliant move, of course.[/quote']

Quite true of course, but having any part of the song in 7 and having be as popular as it is - that's pretty unusual.

How many other popular songs can you think of that are in 7? :) Western popular music is largely in 4, or 3; complex time signatures like 5/4, 7/8 and 11/8 are comparatively rare.

Oh geez... I just thought of a better answer. Other than My Sweet Lord' date=' of course, I've never heard George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass". Made even more stunning by the fact that I bought a copy of it a couple of years back when they issued a 40th Anniversary edition (or whatever it was). It's still on my shelf unplayed. :facepalm:[/quote']

You've probably heard at least a couple of other tracks off that album... What Is Life was a pretty big hit, and If Not For You and Isn't It A Pity also got a fair amount of airplay on FM back in the day.

It's a great record - certainly one of the best post-Beatles solo albums by any of the Fabs - but it's long. Either digest it in bits, or set aside some time, because you're going to be there a while if you try to listen to it all in one sitting.

• Members

Kind of a weird topic Best music recording you've NEVER heard. Its kind of like, does a tree falling in the forest make any sound if there's no one round to hear it. I cant judge something as being good or bad without hearing it first. I'm sure there are plenty of albums I've missed that people think are great and just never peaked my interest to find out whether that hype was justified. Bands like Rush come to mind. I hear one or two tracks and its just sounded like stuff bands had already done and never had an interest in hearing more.

I could name thousands that people though were great and I thought were awful or great albums I've heard that go completely unnoticed. Guessing what might be good never having heard it would be trusting others opinions and I'm just not wired that way.

• Members

I'd never listened to it that closely, to be honest. But I find this fascinating because our guitarists decided that for the new song that's written in 7, they're doing the guitar solo/duet in 6. That works really well too, seems to have been a good choice on their part.

So to go off on a tangent, are there any good guitar solos you could point out in 7 in rock music, or is this a general thing?

The guitar solo in Rush's Tom Sawyer is in 7. Most of it anyway. Never really tried to count through it. More one of those "just memorize the song and learn it" pieces for me.

Whether that's a "good" solo or not is a matter of personal taste, or course.

As far as "Money" goes---I always liked the way it kicks into 4 for the solo. Takes the song into another gear. But I always felt they sort of awkwardly went back into 7 for the verse.

• Members

Quite true of course, but having any part of the song in 7 and having be as popular as it is - that's pretty unusual.

How many other popular songs can you think of that are in 7? :) Western popular music is largely in 4, or 3; complex time signatures like 5/4, 7/8 and 11/8 are comparatively rare.

Yep. I always thought that Genesis pulling off a massive pop hit with "Turn It On Again", which is in 13/8, (with parts of the song in 9/8, I believe as well) was pretty cool.

Or is it 13/4? I've always had a hard time understanding the difference. Apparently so does Genesis. I've seen a DVD interview where Phil Collins talks about the song being in 13/8, Mike Rutherford calls it 13/4, and Tony Banks says "it has an extra beat every 3rd measure..."

Doesn't really matter how you count it as long as you all end up in the same place, I think! :D

Jethro Tull's "Living In The Past" was a pretty big hit in 5/4.

• Members

You should listen to it. There's some filler on it, like "Apple Jam"..But Beware of Darkness is a great song, What is Life, I could go on....But you should listen to it. It was a watershed event at the time. All these songs that John and Paul wouldn't help him develop as Beatles Tunes....Listen to it...

I always liked how you can count things in different ways... I always approached that song as two measures of 4/4 followed by one of 5/4. Like you said, as long as you get to the same place at the same time, it really doesn't matter that much.

Here's a fun one - The Cars - Touch And Go.

Have fun counting it because not only are some sections of the song in 5/4 (and 4/4) but in the 5/4 section (verses), not everyone is playing in 5/4... can you say polymeter? :)

[video=youtube;L7Gpr_Auz8Y]

• Members

I've never heard a complete Grateful Dead album. I've heard tracks, but never a complete album. Never got on that train at all. Just never connected with their sound or compositions. And I generally love long jams and improvisations. Odd. Never bought any of their records or was interested in seeing them live.

They've always been dead to me I guess.

• Members

Rush…. I know I`m supposed to like them but as much as I have tried, they always leave me feeling like I`m chewing on a looseleaf. I appreciate them all as players but their songs lack melodies, Geddy Lee`s whining voice is annoying, and the lyrics… as much as I admire Neil Peart, I just cannot relate.

Grateful Dead… another band that leaves me feeling like I`m chewing a tree. Lots of filler, but very little content. I`m not a jam band fan either. Give me the tune straight up or I tune out.

Was this thread supposed to be serious? I`m having a hard time thinking of anything but Beck.

Rush…. I know I`m supposed to like them but as much as I have tried, they always leave me feeling like I`m chewing on a looseleaf. I appreciate them all as players but their songs lack melodies, Geddy Lee`s whining voice is annoying, and the lyrics… as much as I admire Neil Peart, I just cannot relate.

Grateful Dead… another band that leaves me feeling like I`m chewing a tree. Lots of filler, but very little content. I`m not a jam band fan either. Give me the tune straight up or I tune out.

I've never been a big fan of either band... but if you classify the Allman Brothers as a "jam band" (and some people do), then I can't really say I don't like jam bands, because I'm definitely an Allman Brothers fan.

Your post reminded me just how much Lee Flier loves Rush... I'll have to buy her a Rush album and a drum machine for the holidays... ;):D

• Members
Well, I have no idea about the sound quality, since I've never heard it. But I've never heard the album "Marquee Moon" by Television. This seminal (so I'm told) album turns up on all sorts of "best of" and "most influential" lists but, for whatever set of reasons, it managed to slip past me at the time of its release and I've never yet had a reason to check it out.

I suppose I should someday but, then again, I've made it this long.....

you probably only need to listen to one track to get the gist of it.

[YOUTUBE]WfO9lpbbW_4[/YOUTUBE]

if you like that you might enjoy richard hell.

[YOUTUBE]TP3x-VdOb44[/YOUTUBE]

Archived