Can anyone guess why I moved my tower to the livingroom?

techristian

• Members

There is nothing more boring than installing software......and Windows 8 software is the King of boring. My TV is helping with this experience. My tower has gone through this process more than 35 times in the past few days and it keeps reverting....but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It is allowing me to TRY to install Windows 8.1 now!! ....but failed 3 times :(

screen.jpg

• CMS Author

Because you have only 7 windows there?

Do you get any error messages when it fails to install Win 8.1? I tried for nearly three years, on and off, to update an old laptop running WinXP Service Pack 2 to Service Pack 3 and it always failed with a message about not having permissions. Finally I found a "fix-it" on the Microsoft web site which, is seems goes through the entire registry and sets permissions so that the update can install. It ran for more than three hours, but when it was done, I ran the SP3 installer (off line) and it finally worked.

You could have a similar problem. I found the solution by googling the error message.

• Members

It seems to be installing 8.1 right now, but we will see......and then there are those Win 8.1 updates to follow !!

The pain, the pain.

Can someone send me back to the time before security updates....That would be sometime before I went on the internet.

Oh and yes Mike, I had a permission problem also...but a few helps from Microsoft.com help pages did the trick.

Dan

• Members

It's all (Software) become so nerve racking and frustrating I often wish I was still just using DOS and running everything off command lines. Used to love writing batch files. It was fun back then, simpler. Biggest issue then was very small hard drives and very miniscule amounts of RAM and REM.

• Members

I don't know if I agree with you about command line. I like the GUI but it can be a pain sometime. Even with Win 3.1 you could just copy everything and move it to another computer....if you wanted to. Not any more.

Win8.1 has been in this machine a few times in the past day, but it won 't boot properly and reverts back to Win8.

Dan

Archived