What Did You Do In Your Extra Hour Today?

MikeRivers

• CMS Author

I got an e-mail from Sony this morning asking that. Their suggestion was to spend an hour learning how to use Spectral Layers Pro 2 from their videos.

I spent the "extra" hour setting clocks. I have so many clocks. The analog ones are easy but every digital one works differently. Since this is something I do once a year (setting them forward and setting them backward are often two different procedures) I never remember and have to find the manual since there's nothing less intuitive than the user interface for setting a digital clock. It really did take me the better part of an hour. At least the computers and cell phone are smart enough to set themselves. I think I got all of the clocks in the house - still have to change the clock in the car and the GPS - but I'm sure that next week I'll run across one somewhere that's still off by an hour.

I should take my sinuses and clocks to Arizona where they don't have Daylight Saving Time. Grandpa Jones had a song for it:

• Members
Just make Daylight Savings Time year-round and solve the issue once and for all.

They tried that one year back during the energy crisis in the 70s. Too many parents complained about their kids waiting for the school bus in the dark.

Can never please everyone with these sorts of things, can you?

• Members

The older I get the less I pay attention to a clock. I fell asleep and work up at the same times I did before the change was made. I haven't used an alarm clock in 40 years yet have never been late for work from over sleeping.

Back in the day when our country was agriculture based the time shift made sense. It makes no sense to me why we should all have our bio clocks screwed up for a bunch of farmers who use that time change for their hired help so they could get in the maximum working hours in the sunlight.

I think they should adjust the time 1/2 hour in between the two and just leave the rest of us alone. There would be fewer ailments caused in people by this time shift because people would be more attuned to the way the seasons change instead of basing their entire lives around a clock, which is an unnatural invention of man. I wouldn't doubt there would be fewer cases of the Flu and people missing work trying to readjust their bio clocks as well.

Music too is based on a clock, but musicians do tend to hear both the natural and unnatural rhythms of life. They don't usually play 24 hours and ignore beats when they rest so its easier for them to ignore machine made tempos. The sun and earth are in free and balanced motion, steady, smooth and predictable. They don't click or tick along as they move like gears in a clock which eventually run down, wear out or seize up.

• Moderators

I'm an early bird. On weekends I head out on my bike and hit up a couple of coffee houses early before the wife and kid get up. My extra hour was spent taking my time reading and "surfing" while drinking excellent joe, knowing full well the fam's use of the hour would be used sleeping.

• CMS Author

Back in the day when our country was agriculture based the time shift made sense. It makes no sense to me why we should all have our bio clocks screwed up for a bunch of farmers who use that time change for their hired help so they could get in the maximum working hours in the sunlight.

Why not just come to work when it's light enough and go home when it gets too dark? If they're paid by the hour, it wouldn't matter.

I do look at clocks because there are times when I need to be somewhere. I don't work any more, but that doesn't relieve me from time-based obligations such as attending events, catching planes, and agreeing on a time to meet friends for dinner. I go to bed when I'm sleepy, and I get out of bed when I wake up, though I sometimes set an alarm clock if I'm taking an 8 AM flight and know that it'll take me an hour to get to the airport.

Also, I have a number of timers around the house so I don't have to leave a light on all day if I'll be coming home after dark. I have a timer to turn on my electric blanket so the bed will be warm when I climb in on a cold night. I program my video recorder to record programs occasionally, and I have a computer (which thankfully adjusts its clock by itself) which fires off a recording program to record radio shows streaming on line that I listen to regularly, but when I have time for them, not always when they're broadcast live.

So, yes, while I'm not fussy about my watch being off by a minute, clock time is important and useful to me. I would feel uncomfortable at times if I didn't know the time. And, yes, there are indeed times when I don't care. I don't have to look at my watch to see if I'm hungry.

• Members

Daylight savings time didn't originate with agriculture. Farmers work sunup to sundown regardless of what the clock says. I was raised on a farm and it was just an annoyance for us.

DST is a 20th century invention. It began being used in Europe during WWI to conserve coal.

What IS a largely obsolete remnant of older agricultural times is kids not going to school during the summer.

• CMS Author

I heard on Car Talk that DST was a creation of the barbecue lobby (I believe that there's one of those) so that people would be able to grill later in the season. It never bothered me - I often grill in the dark, though snow slows me down.

The Car Guys make up a lot of facts, as I'm sure they did about daylight saving time.

• Members

Part of it was coal I'm sure but much is also based around getting products to market during daylight hours. Ben Franklin was the first to suggest DST but it was never used till the wars. Roosevelt called it Eastern War Time”, “Central War Time”, and “Pacific War Time” in the US and it was changed to peace time after the war. .

Arizona is an exception to the rule when it comes to daylight saving time in the United States. Most parts of the state, except the Navajo Nation community, observe Mountain Standard Time (MST) all year long.

• Members

Arizona is an exception to the rule when it comes to daylight saving time in the United States. Most parts of the state, except the Navajo Nation community, observe Mountain Standard Time (MST) all year long.

Also Hawaii, which is so far south that the length of the day only varies by about 3-4 hrs between summer and winter anyway, and parts of Indiana, for whatever reason.

• Members
I heard on Car Talk that DST was a creation of the barbecue lobby (I believe that there's one of those) so that people would be able to grill later in the season. It never bothered me - I often grill in the dark, though snow slows me down. The Car Guys make up a lot of facts, as I'm sure they did about daylight saving time.
Love Click and Clack. I was very sorry to hear that Tom Magliozzi passed away today.

Archived