FWIW, I am HATING Windows 8.1 ...even more

techristian

• Members

This thing with USB file transfers is still driving me crazy. Why can I record 5 minutes of 10 simultaneous tracks on an old Lenova X60 @ 48khz 24 bit running Windows XP, but not copy these same files over to my QUAD processor Win8 machine....in less than 1 hour ??

One thing I learned is that Windows 8 wants to shut off the USB Hub all of the time so I disabled that but the problem still persists. I'm really beginning to think that this is some sick DRM thing that is happening. YES MICROSOFT...THESE REALLY ARE MY FILES THAT I'M TRYING TO MOVE...they don't belong to Sony or Hollywood !!

I'm using a WALLET SIZED 750gb WD "My Passport" to move my files around.

I need this portability of work and this is maddening.

If I try to open Cubase directly from the Passport , it takes 15 minutes to start..

Dan

• Members

oK...WE WILL TRY AGAIN ...I just bought a new motherboard ...a ASRock 960GC-GS FX ....

Hopefully the nice Windows 8.1 people won't give me a hard time with the upgrade.

My SATA ports and other issues with the old ECS A780GM "BLACK" motherboard....so we will see if Win 8.1 will shine on this new MOBO. Give me a few weeks to get this running. I ordered it from newegg....surface.

Dan

• Members

Not all computers treat USB ports the same. I have USB 2.0 in about 7 different computers and the one in my studio is twice as fast as any of my others. I did tweak that computer to remove all kinds of crap running in the background. Shut down unnecessary services and crap like that.

This Black Viper site helped with that. http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/ Be sure to print screen shots of your current settings before making any changes. Services are interdependent with one another and setting one for manual may disable something you need to start automatically. Never disable anything unless you know its supposed to be disabled or have run it manual long enough to know you'll never use it.

You also may want to go into bios and see if the USB ports are on a shared IRQ. Some mother boards will let you switch IRQ's so the USB isn't shared with something hogging the buss. You can also switch cards around and try and trick it to move.

Chances are the slow file moving is an issues with file indexing. You can turn indexing off on a drive so windows doesn't categorize where everything is, it just moves it. You can always turn it back on and index it later.

• Members
Dan - is your My Passport drive close to full when you try moving files? If so, can you delete some stuff off and give the drive a good 20-30gb empty headroom? See if that makes a difference...?

nat whilk ii

No . Over 500gb of 750gb free but now that I copied most of them over using Linux....I found at least 40 files "unable to splice" or corrupted. So I did an XP NTFS slow reformat and hopefully it will lock out bad sectors. I don't care if I end up with 700 gb instead of 750 gb...as long as they are dependable and solid. It would of helped if Win 8.1 would have skipped bad files rather than HANGING UP on them (as long as it notified me that it skipped files)

But I have also had problems with USB KEY file transfers as well. I will try recording with this drive again after this fresh format BEFORE I replace the motherboard.

This new MOBO that I'm getting is a little bit more modern than the one I have now. It supports both AMD2 and AMD3 chips, my PCIE VIDEO CARD and DDR2 AND DDR3 memory. So I'm also expecting a bit of a Video speedup, because my old mobo was only PCIE 1 and this is PCIE2

I also needed some new SATA ports....so we will see.

Dan

• Members

Good luck - I've had incredibly slow USB transfers to flash drives. However, when I've just used an old SATA drive stuck in an external enclosure with a USB cable, moving and copying between internal HDs and the external HD consistently goes very fast for some reason.

It'll be interesting to see if your new MOBO makes a difference - that's a big upgrade to deal with a pesky USB file transfer issue. Of course you'll probably see other benefits, hopefully....

nat whilk ii

• Members

I had some issues moving wave files to a thumb drive the other day where the files were corrupted and wouldn't open. The files would copy to the thumb drive but weren't recognized as playable files once they were on the disk.

I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the latest batch of Win upgrades.

I did find this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/wav-files-on-usb-storage-devices-crash-explorer/27301fdd-491e-4727-ab4c-49dea2bba567

I'm probably going to try rolling back my system restore to an earlier date and see if that helps.

• Members
get a mac :idk:

I just ordered me a new Macbook Pro yesterday. My other one (the last of the 17") models is now dedicated to the new band project and I can't have my Quicken and other personal data files on a machine that I'll be hauling around to gigs!

• Members

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Here is what happened today.

First I tried recording to a 32gb USB stick...It worked ok for a few minutes but then choked. It was easy to move what was recorded on the stick to my Win 8 machine though.

Then I used nat whilk's suggestion and recorded to a full side usb drive with external power supply. It recorded flawlessly and transferred flawlessly............but figure out one problem and then another one crops up.

My Sony HDR-XR100 camcorder hard drive keeps getting corrupted. I cleaned it and reformatted it already once before, just recently, but it failed on me again today. So out of 1/2 or recording I managed to pull out 3 minutes of video to post online (even though it wasn't my best 3 minutes)

Then I moved the audio tracks and video pieces over to Vegas to put all together and Vegas shut down on me..in the middle of an edit.

So my "technical difficulties" are more than just a single computer problem.

Dan

• Members

Well, as I figured, HARDWARE wouldn't be the big headache .....replacing the motherboard. Once again Win8 is the big headache. Would it let me reformat the C: partition and install there? NO. It locked out the c: partition, installed on the d: partition and labelled it as c: . I also forced me to use a new username. Now, after the install, I can see the c: partition, labelled as d: . I doubt that the old apps will run from there, but later today I will try. There is a shell of Windows 8 running, on what used to be d: There is the file manager and a few apps, on the START screen, but very sparse. The WIN8 cd never gave me any option for "CLEAN INSTALL" So here I am.

oh ...and Win 8.1 was there before , but my install disk is only Win 8.0

Here is another link...."will continue to support Win8 bun not Win8.1" maybe I'm doing the wrong thing trying to update to 8.1 ??

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2607741/microsoft-windows/microsoft-confirms-it-s-dropping-windows-8-1-support.html

DAN

• Members

Wanted to play a WAV file on a friend's Windows 8 laptop. So I double-clicked, which called up an XBox app I didn't want...I just wanted Media Player. So I hit the stop button...actually, I couldn't find a stop button. Then I wanted to close the app, but couldn't figure out how to do it - no close box or anything like that. Finally, I went to ask the internet, and found out that a) there's no stop button (brilliant!! a music player without a stop button!) and b), closing it simply involves moving the cursor up to the top of the app where it turns into a little hand, at which point you click and drag the app down as far as it will go until it disappears. Right. Very intuitive!

• Members

A recovery disk for 8.1 is always 8.0 and you have to upgrade to 8.1 after using it. No idea if that's related to your installation.

I have a new Win8 laptop (Toshiba Satellite S55t). My wife was in a hurry to get one so I didn't have time to do the proper research and pretty much got this by chance. It has a touchscreen, and thank goodness for that because the Metro portion of Win8 would have been a nightmare without it.

In Win8 you have to do the Metro help thing and PAY ATTENTION because it's all new, especially if you use mouse only. It makes far more sense using the touchscreen. But even then I find it annoying, and try not to ever use the Metro interface if I can avoid it. For any apps that come in both desktop and Metro flavors, I always use the desktop version (e.g., calculator). Metro, not their best idea yet.

Meanwhile, I loaded up Cantabile with sfz, TruePianos, NIB4-II, and a few other old favorites, and it runs like a champ using ASIO4ALL at the smallest buffer size (64), nary a dropout or glitch, without doing anything special to configure (without disabling any services, etc.) Dpclat reports 1000 usec latency most of the time with a max of 1700, even while starting and stopping programs and playing tunes on the softsynths. Nice to know that this new laptop works better than any I've had before, for playing softsynths from MIDI input.

The internal 1TB 5400 RPM drive looks slow compared to what I had previously, especially for audio (as reported by Jose Catena's Dskbench). I haven't checked my external USB drive yet. But with no Firewire port, it my trusty MOTU 828 won't work anyway. I plan to replace the 828 with something like a TASCAM US2000 to get 16 channels, and thinking about rewiring the 828 to be 8 mic preamps hard-wired to 1/4" outputs. I'm between bands right now so there's no immediate need for multichannel recording.

I suppose I should post the laptop report in a new thread. We return you now to the regularly scheduled program of Win8 bashing.

• Members

You can convert the Win 8 desktop and menus to a Win 7 style.

This ones free. https://www.pokki.com/windows-8-start-menu

Pokki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokki

This is the long version dealing with registry entries and a paid app that cost $5 but even if I had to go this route it would be the first thing I did if I had a win 8 unit.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/make-windows-8-like-windows-7

• Members

Someone, of my Facebook friends, suggested that I try the Win 10 beta. I have played the Windows BETA TESTER game with Microsoft before. I pulled my hair out for a month or more, with Win 7 BETA and after all of my "testing" they did't even give me a free copy. No ,I'm finally getting the updates (all 100 of them) and then I will finally be able to install Win 8.1 No "free" beta copies for me!

• Members

Getting the updates is not easy. Win 8 will try to download them in batches of 15-40 and install, but if the install fails, it will revert back and try a different iteration. One time it got up to update #3 and froze there all night. The next time it got up to update #31 of 36 and it hung there.

BTW............... WHY MUST MICROSOFT PUT ME THROUGH ALL OF THIS? WHY NOT JUST GIVE ME A COMPLETE 8.1 PACKAGE FROM THE "STORE" ? I'M A REGISTERED USER. EVERY TIME I GO TO THE STORE TO GRAB 8.1, I GET A MESSAGE THAT I NEED TO UPDATE FIRST.

????????

Dan

• Members

About twice a year I back everything up (not disk images, not bootable backups, but the old fashioned data-only backups) and deep-format my disks and reload the MS OS from scratch (I always buy developer versions of the MS OS so I can install and re-install it as many times as I need on as many machines as I need.) Then before I load any programs at all, I do all the MS updates. Then I load programs. And I don't update the OS until the next time I do the same thing all over again.

It's a pain, but man does everything run great after I do this.

To make it as easy as possible I keep (almost all) data on secondary drives, and only the OS and programs on the primary drive to the extent possible.

I'm wondering if Win8 will be the first OS that makes this routine of mine impossible....lord I pray not...if MS doesn't turn this thing around, I'm going to start thinking about Apple.

nat whilk ii

• Members

So it may be that I have been judging Windows 8 unfairly all along. It seems that I had a very small memory error, which would get triggered once in every 20 BILLION memory accesses or so. The Sonar X3 Studio was the thing that woke me up. It had over 10 gb of compressed files and the past 3 or 4 times that I tried to install it, it would have a SINGLE corrupt *.wav file.....but not always the same file. The fact that it kept moving around and other BLUE SCREEN experiences , led me to pull the 4 gb from my other tower and try it. I also had a power supply go on this tower about 6 months ago, my "trusty" THERMALTAKE which was a big surprise, and that failing wallet USB drive. After trying the new memory...VOILA ...everything seems to work fine....even though Win8.1 install was still very annoying counting down to 100% 3 times and then telling me that it still had some things to do. It is possible that this memory problem was lurking in my computer for YEARS, giving me a majority of my headache. Most memory tests wouldn't expose it.

Now , hopefully , I will have a machine that will produce when I say "PRODUCE" , and not lock up , choke and die on me any more...anyway, until the next thing goes bad. I HATE YOU MURPHY !

Now the next thing is to figure out why my camcorder HD keeps getting corrupt. I formatted it 5X the other day and it still got messed up.

And what will I do with the "bad" memory? I will put it in my other tower where things may not be as demanding, or where I may be able to add extra "wait states" in the CMOS. This Asrock was totally automatic and didn't allow such things. Perhaps the MSI will.

Dan

Archived