All About That Bass ...

• Members

"All About The Bass" is just a great great song. It's extremely witty (both the words and the music), it actually has a positive message, the contemporary motown arrangement is both nostalgic and fresh, and the craft that went into producing it is first rate :idk:

• CMS Author

Is this a new version of an old song, or a new song? It sounds like something that comes from a jump band of the 1940s or so, but I've heard a lot of that music and I've never heard this song before. Yet it sounds, from the comments, like some of you have.

• Members

I don't think the lyrics would have worked for Jordan. ;)

But for what it's worth, NOBODY would have recorded it if it hadn't first been written by Trainor and Kevin Kadish. But it just goes to show that a good pop song is a good pop song and how you choose to arrange and produce it is more of a fashion choice than anything else.

• Members
I appreciate the words of the song, and I appreciate the fact that she wrote it. I prefer the 30's version of the song. I think it is a more brilliant use of the song, but hey, ... I'm 52 years old. Maybe if I were 20 years younger, I'd dig both versions! :music016:
While I really like that retro version, I gotta say I prefer the newer one. (And I'm 53, if that means anything.) Not only is the "play a new pop tune in an old Jazz style" is way overdone already (and this dude's band has made a career of it), but this song was already halfway there, so it wasn't exactly an inspired choice.

what IS more inspired, IMO, is the original versions ability to blend the old and the new and turn it into a huge, huge hit. Maybe it will turn more young people on to more varied styles of music.

but, again, at the end of the day, the difference between the two versions is really just a fashion choice. Straight hair vs. curls. We all like what we like. It's all good. I certainly have room for both versions on my iPod and will probably put both versions onto different playlists to accommodate different situations.

my cover band will do the modern one, because that's where the money will be for us.

• CMS Author

Maybe I misinterpreted it. I thought it was a clever double entrende about the virtues of having a big butt, which is what made me think of Louie Jordan. I could see Ella Fitzgerald doing it 50 years ago (if it had been written then) or maybe Maria Muldaur. To me, the version that Dendy posted sounded like an old song done in a respectable way by a young modern jazz combo. The original version sounded like an old song that was done over as a pop tune.

It's a credit to the writer to have made me thing that the song was originally from the 1940s or 50s. I didn't like how it came out as a pop song, but that's because I'm 73 years old and really don't like very much new pop music. .

• Members

Yeah you got the lyrics correct. I just thought they might be a bit too risqué for that era (more like 70 years ago, rather than 50), but maybe not. Jordan did some risqué stuff for sure. But they are replete with modern slang that wouldn't have been around back then for sure.

If you like that version you should check out other videos by that band--Post Modern Jukebox. They do old jazzy versions of all sorts of modern tunes and most are very good.

Archived