A Replacement for the M-Audio Venom Synth

ggm1960

• Members

This seemed like such a great thing back when it came out; a virtual analog type synth with presets and good support software. Even though not long after I got mine Avid sold M-Audio and the bottom seemed to fall out on these things as far as support and updates I still clung to the thought that it held promise for the time when I got the chance to really dig into it and see what it was capable off.

Now that time has come and it's been very frustrating. Changes made in the software do not transfer to the synth without repeating steps several times even when the software is supposedly in direct sync mode. You'll think you've modified patches or created multi's only to find out later the changes didn't take and you have to try again. In one particularly frustrating ongoing battle with this thing I get a multi all set up with two sounds mapped to upper keys and one mapped to lower keys but each time I try to save it I completely lose sound on the lower mapped keys.........over and over and over again. Doesn't matter whether I try to save it from the software or directly with the units buttons. There were a couple times I thought I had it but when I return to the patch after using the unit for a while it'll be screwed up again. There are other inconsistencies and various intermittent problems that I won't bother to mention but the point is I was counting on this thing for a band I'm in now and it's just not reliable. Definitely not gig worthy!

I've been looking for something similar that I will be able to depend on. Something with the analog programming style but with factory and user presets and I like the 49 keys. Anyone have an idea for a replacement?

Greg

• Members

The Venom was unique, there wasn't anything like and probably won't be again...there was a firmware update that screwed up the software. Are you aware of this:

http://psicraft.com/download/vyzex-venom-1p20

It might help you. Tony at PsiCraft is a really nice guy, but sadly the Venom stuff was a bit of a disaster for him because when Avid changed the firmware it apparently left him sort of high and dry. He may be able to help but frankly, I think the whole episode left a bad taste in his mouth and he might just want to forget about it and move on.

• Members
The Venom was unique, there wasn't anything like and probably won't be again...there was a firmware update that screwed up the software. Are you aware of this:

http://psicraft.com/download/vyzex-venom-1p20

It might help you. Tony at PsiCraft is a really nice guy, but sadly the Venom stuff was a bit of a disaster for him because when Avid changed the firmware it apparently left him sort of high and dry. He may be able to help but frankly, I think the whole episode left a bad taste in his mouth and he might just want to forget about it and move on.

Thanks Craig, I did download that a while back and I'm certain I am running that on my win7 desktop. I'm fairly certain though that this update wouldn't work on the vista laptop I also wanted to use, I need to check versions again when I get home because 1.11 seems to keep sticking in my head rather than 1.2.

I did manage to make some progress with that particularly strange problem I was having with the multi I described before by switching the sound for the bottom keys to the top (first) location..........strange.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well i did have version 1.11 on that Vista laptop which won't run due to some type of error although the original disc version (1.06 I think) worked. So I put the ver 1.2 on last night but still had a similar problem to what I get with 1.11. Ver. 1.2 works ok on the Win7 desktop so there must be something missing with Vista.

Archived