2014 AES Show Report

MikeRivers

• Members

Two things...

1. I wasn't at the show but the Anderton Awards thing is kind of traditional...can I reference you as this year's celebrity replacement judge, and write the article around your report?

2. I think you misunderstood something about the TASCAM interfaces. The 5532 op amp is used only for the line-level I/O, not the mic pres. The mic pres use discrete circuitry that's based on the HDDA preamps in the UH-7000.

• CMS Author
Two things...

I wasn't at the show but the Anderton Awards thing is kind of traditional...can I reference you as this year's celebrity replacement judge, and write the article around your report?

I would be honored, sir. But understand that there was a whole lot of stuff there that I didn't write about because I don't use it or don't know enough about it to sound intelligent. The Avid S3 controller adaptation for the studio is one example. Every nee plug-in is another.

I think you misunderstood something about the TASCAM interfaces. The 5532 op amp is used only for the line-level I/O, not the mic pres.

I didn't misundersand,,and I didn't mean to imply that the 5532 was used in the mic preamp. It's just that I found it a bit curious that they were publicizing the use of a (still very good and useful) 20 year old op amp chip. It's probably better than something that they've used previously, if they're using it right.

Archived