Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post something from the TROUGH of your musical career!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll play.

Back in the 80's I entered a regional songwriting contest. I was really proud of the tune I entered, thought it might have a chance, and got very excited when I was told it was in the top three finalists in the rock category. I was invited to the awards ceremony where "celebrity" judges would make the final decisions while I sat on stage at a table with the other finalists. As you can probably guess, my masterpiece didn't win. Instead, a really poorly written, badly sung song full of cliche'd lyrics did - in MY opinion of course!

You might guess that I'm about to link you to THAT song but that would be less interesting. Instead, I'm going to link you to the song I wrote, played, and recorded for next year's contest which was INTENTIONALLY terrible, similar in nature to the song that beat mine the year before, similarly filled with trite, cliche lyrics, harmony screaming before the solo, etc. because that's just how bad a sport I was. I told my friends that THIS piece of crap must be exactly what the contest committee likes given the results last year.

Guess what, it won. Without further ado, here is "Sharon."

http://www.mrknobs.com/music/Sharon.mp3

Terry D.

P.S. Joke was on me, though. First prize was a bunch of hours of recording time at my competitor's studio in town.

Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

Hey that's pretty good, Terry! Contains every cliché in the book, but still...

I'm still waiting for someone to post something as sonically offensive as my song
      works | smoke | forum

Comment

What if it's all trough? Or if each new thing I do is a new low in the trough?