Sonar X3 and Waves plugin issues

• Members

Just reporting here for the sake of anyone having trouble with Waves plugins causing crashes in X3 -

I upgraded to X3 from X2 just recently. Any attempt to use a Waves plugin caused an immediate X3 crash every time. I use the following Waves plugs:

JJP Signature Series

H-EQ

Vitamin

More or less following a post on the Cakewalk support site, I did this and it has so far enabled me to use Waves plugs with X3 with no crashes. Fingers remained crossed:

1 - uninstall all Waves plugs. The Waves auto-uninstaller (as is so typical) did not clear out all the folders created from the Waves install, and even after running the uninstall, X3 kept finding the "Waves shell" plugin. I had to finally run a search on my hard drive to find any Waves folder still intact even after uninstalling. Deleted the offending folder by hand.

2 - even 'tho I just downloaded and installed X3 just a week ago, the downloaded program was NOT the updated version. So I downloaded the latest cumulative update for X3 and ran that.

2 - Run the Cakewalk plugin utility, and hit the "re-set" all VST plugins button (ie, it removes them from the plugin list.) Re-run the utility and make sure no Waves plugs pop up at all.

3 - download the latest Waves installation software and run it.

4 - reboot, load up an X3 project and try inserting a Waves FX plug. Yay! Success !! So far!!!

Craig posted on the Cakewalk forum "anyone tried this? does it work?" - so FWIW here's one example of it working.

This is also an example of something that could do in a newbie (referring to the ongoing thread about the difficulty factor for DAW users.) But whatcha going to do?? Three separately produced software programs (Win7, X3, Waves) all have to play together with no fussing at all. Hey DAW newbies - this is what you have to get used to.

X3 feels faster than X2 btw. Lots of new toys to play with in the Producer edition - that will take time.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Nat, unfortunately the transition from VST2 to VST3 is not painless. Waves got onboard VST3 in a big way, and Sonar has options to choose whether it ignores or recognizes VST2 versions of equivalent VST3 versions. What I'm finding is that after an X3 install, it's vital to reset and then re-scan your VST plug-ins so Sonar re-learns where things are located, now that there's a whole world of VST3 plug-ins being added to the mix.

I think you'll find that once you get X3 coordinated with all the other stuff, it tends to keep working.

Also I have to say that Waves is a company that cares about being compatible with Sonar. They don't see Pro Tools as the only DAW in the world :)

Archived