Thanks, SSS Production Squad - "Maladie Du Coeur" finally done

Anderton

• Members

I missed the first deadline, but that's okay...it's done now, and with a few extra little coolness in terms of production ear candy.

As always, THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to comment. I truly believe your input makes for a huge improvement in the final result. I really, really appreciate your assistance.

• Members
Brilliant Sir! Much tighter production!

Still can't understand what you're saying though....smiley-wink

(Very) loosely translated:.

I don't feel so good, not a sore throat or a headache, don't know what...

Need to find a doctor who can tell me what's up.

He gave a sad look, and then he said "there's nothing I can do for you. You have a common problem, and I don't think you'll like my answer"

What is it? I asked. Tell me, I'm begging you!

Do you know what the problem is? If it's serious, tell me anyway...

He gave a long sigh, and then he began to laugh...

"Well my friend, there's nothing I can prescribe for a malady of the heart.

There is no remedy that can do you any good, that's for sure.

Only love can cure a malady of the heart

Just take it easy, enjoy what women bring, and my advice is - don't be afraid."

Translating that made me realize how idiomatic languages are...I think to do a translation of the sense of the song would be quite different. I also realized it's helpful to be able to think in two different languages because there are words that don't have equivalents.

For example, there's no English equivalent for "joie de vivre." Sure, you can translate it as "joy of life," but that's not what it means. And the ancient Egyptians didn't have a word for death; they called it "going west," as in toward where the sun sets, meaning that it was a journey and not a destination...big difference.

I think it was a really dumb decision for schools to stop teaching languages and the arts...at least we still have some holdouts like Ken who actually do teach instead of babysit...

• Members
Ha! Excellent :D

Good enunciation, too. Anyone would think you were a native French-speaker, Monsieur Anderton...

At one point in my life I spoke French better than English...but I still speak French like a 10-year-old. Just a 10-year-old with a good accent :)

• Members

(Very) loosely translated:.

I don't feel so good, not a sore throat or a headache, don't know what...

Need to find a doctor who can tell me what's up.

He gave a sad look, and then he said "there's nothing I can do for you. You have a common problem, and I don't think you'll like my answer"

What is it? I asked. Tell me, I'm begging you!

Do you know what the problem is? If it's serious, tell me anyway...

He gave a long sigh, and then he began to laugh...

"Well my friend, there's nothing I can prescribe for a malady of the heart.

There is no remedy that can do you any good, that's for sure.

Only love can cure a malady of the heart

Just take it easy, enjoy what women bring, and my advice is - don't be afraid."

Translating that made me realize how idiomatic languages are...I think to do a translation of the sense of the song would be quite different. I also realized it's helpful to be able to think in two different languages because there are words that don't have equivalents.

For example, there's no English equivalent for "joie de vivre." Sure, you can translate it as "joy of life," but that's not what it means. And the ancient Egyptians didn't have a word for death; they called it "going west," as in toward where the sun sets, meaning that it was a journey and not a destination...big difference.

I think it was a really dumb decision for schools to stop teaching languages and the arts...at least we still have some holdouts like Ken who actually do teach instead of babysit...

Well cool man! Now I not only know what you sang but a little primer as well! Cool!..

I speak American English, Texan, and know just enough Spanish to order in a resturant, and realize when someone is unhappy with me.

Archived