Sh!t Sandwich

Mark L

No swearing in thread titles please - even if it is a Spinal Tap quote, please disguise it a bit. :)

The most scathing review I've ever read was probably JD Considine's review (I believe it was in the old Musician magazine) of Don Johnson's first album. It said something along the lines of "Don Johnson sings about as well as Glenn Frey acts." Short, concise, and with two zings for the price of one.... :D but it wasn't a gig review. As far as reviews of stuff I was involved in, I don't pay too much attention to that, and I can't really give you a humorous examples along the lines of that Spinal Tap quote - sorry.

• Members

It's considered too vulgar for over air broadcast by the FCC. Even as other words with precisely the same meaning, like feces, pooh, etc, are allowed.

There is a LOT of irrational, downright absurd cultural baggage in the US, even today.

SOME of it has to do with the political power of religious fundamentalists but, obviously, like many of the most absurd proscriptions on women's rights in some Islamic countries and cultures, it has little or nothing to do with actual religion or scripture.

• Moderators

Well, I remember one that really stung.

It stung extra bad as it was a "triumphant" return to my home town. I was running sound for George Strait and we played a huge warehouse outside of Bryan TX Huge sound system, maybe 5,000+ people there, big show. The local newspaper sent a guy out to review it as it was at the time the largest show that tiny little college town had seen.

The two opening acts played, George did his 45 minute set, I thought I nailed the sound. I was on cloud nine!

The next morning I read in the Bryan Eagle, "..perhaps the finest voice in country music today was often overwhelmed by the fiddle...." WTF?????!!!!

I thought George might fire me. Instead he pointed out that the reporter stood just off stage right next to the fiddle player for the entire set, listening to the fiddle player's monitor mix. He said, "Don't worry about it."

Terry D.

• Members
Well, I remember one that really stung.

It stung extra bad as it was a "triumphant" return to my home town. I was running sound for George Strait and we played a huge warehouse outside of Bryan TX Huge sound system, maybe 5,000+ people there, big show. The local newspaper sent a guy out to review it as it was at the time the largest show that tiny little college town had seen.

The two opening acts played, George did his 45 minute set, I thought I nailed the sound. I was on cloud nine!

The next morning I read in the Bryan Eagle, "..perhaps the finest voice in country music today was often overwhelmed by the fiddle...." WTF?????!!!!

I thought George might fire me. Instead he pointed out that the reporter stood just off stage right next to the fiddle player for the entire set, listening to the fiddle player's monitor mix. He said, "Don't worry about it."

Terry D.

this is getting dangerously close to a humblbrag :o

• Moderators

this is getting dangerously close to a humblbrag :o

I needed the facepalm smiley to make my point clearly!

The question is, which is reality? What Mr. Strait and I know happened, or what 40,000 people read in the newspaper? It's not like the Eagle issued a retraction.

Topic: Worst gig review. Relevance to topic: High. :p

Terry D.

Archived