FIREWALLS ?? Do you use them?

• Members

Last January I moved all of my websites to a new server with Cpanel. Since then, I SEE NOTHING (of my websites) when my Belkin Router FIREWALL is turned on. I can't get email, see webpages or even serve pictures up to Ebay. YET, I CAN SEE MOST OTHER WEBSITES? How many of you use firewalls? If you do, tell me if you can SEE http://musicinit.com I'm arguing with Godaddy that every casual surfer IS NOT going to set up an "exception" just for my website and so I feel that I'm losing traffic. As I said, even my Ebay ad right now won't display the pictures I'm hosting.

PLEASE !

Thanks

Dan

• CMS Author

I can see your web site. I use Zone Alarm as a firewall, sort of. It has, I think, three "levels" of security, one of which is blocking everything coming in, another is "allows viewing most web sites," to which I have it set. My hardware router (that connects to the Internet) has some sort of firewall setup, but I never bothered to set it up. It asks too many questions that I don't know how to answer and I didn't feel like messing around until I got something that worked but didn't get in the way. I probably don't have a way to test it anyhow.

• Members

I can see your web site. I use Zone Alarm as a firewall, sort of. It has, I think, three "levels" of security, one of which is blocking everything coming in, another is "allows viewing most web sites," to which I have it set. My hardware router (that connects to the Internet) has some sort of firewall setup, but I never bothered t o set it up. It asks too many questions that I don't know how to answer and I didn't feel like messing around until I got something that worked but didn't get in the way. I probably don't have a way to test it anyhow.

Mike, I use ShieldsUP! from https://www.grc.com/intro.htm to test my firewall security.

• Members
Last January I moved all of my websites to a new server with Cpanel. Since then, I SEE NOTHING (of my websites) when my Belkin Router FIREWALL is turned on. I can't get email, see webpages or even serve pictures up to Ebay. YET, I CAN SEE MOST OTHER WEBSITES? How many of you use firewalls? If you do, tell me if you can SEE http://musicinit.com I'm arguing with Godaddy that every casual surfer IS NOT going to set up an "exception" just for my website and so I feel that I'm losing traffic. As I said, even my Ebay ad right now won't display the pictures I'm hosting.

PLEASE ! Thanks Dan

That router was likely set to a different IP address/server when you allowed those sites to be set up or built them and any software you used to build them likely allowed that gate to be open access to you. Since you moved the site to a different server that site no longer has the door open like it did (obviously)

You don't have any alternative besides reading the router manual and learn how to teach that router its a safe site. (or you completely de-install the router and reset it and start from scratch which is what I'd likely do)

I've had your same issue with our company router when they changed service providers and believe me I don't envy you doing it by the book. Some of the stuff can be pretty heady. Mainly you want to turn on the notifications. This may cause allot of popups in the beginning while it asks you to permit the various connections you use to get to that site. Once they seem to subside and you seem to have access again, then you can probably set it for stealth mode again so you aren't driven nuts.

I'd start here http://www.belkin.com/PYRAMID/Advanc...firewall_a.stm and drill down till you have the info you need then give it a shot. It shouldn't be too difficult for you to allow those URL's to be seen again. The router likely has those URL's stored under the old names and IP addresses and are looking for the old servers. Since you can access them with the firewall off, you pretty much know its the firewall, not the site that's the issue.

• Members
So WRGKMC, you are saying that I'm the only one who can't see my website behind the firewall ? DAN

That seems to be the situation. Only you are behind your firewall. Its likely blocking you because there was a change made that confused the firewall into thinking its being hacked. It remembers the site under the old address and it cant understand why its at a new location now. You have to tell it its OK to see that site, or you may have to reset its history and have it rediscover that site as being safe.

There are many situations where a site may claim to be say a PayPal for example. Then someone else comes along and claims their site is Pay Pal but the mac address doesn't match so it gets blocked and you don't get suckered into visiting a scam site.

I had a similar issue with my linksys router when I switched from Comcast to AT&T. The AT&T modem has a built in router and wireless. I spent a day trying to tunnel through the Linksys and the AT&T in series. I either didn't have enough access to the AT&T modem or was missing something in the instructions. I never did get it to work right and just concluded you cant run routers in series like that because it either confuses them or the hardware wasn't compatible.

In the long run I really didn't need to use that router because the AT&T stuff had it already so I want and changed the passwords for my wireless devices instead. It wound up being easier in the long run, and probably more reliable.

Archived