RIP - Bob Tudor

• CMS Author

Bob Tudor passed away on May 23 after several up and down years with cancer. Back when I was running the Washington MIDI Users Group BBS and we were linking up with other BBSs around the world via the MIDILink Network, Bob wrote a BBS program, First Class, that Mackie picked up, and with Bob's help, connected up with our little network. After doing some free lance consulting work, Bob joined Mackie to head up the new Digital Products group where he and his team brought us the d8b digital console and HDR24/96 and MDR24/96 hard disk recorders. Bob's own company, Sanewave, developed products for TASCAM (US-2400 control surface and X-48 hard disk recorder), and designed or contributed to the design of about 100 products in the audio field.

His ProjectMix for M-Audio brought us the concept of a mixer that was also a multi-channel digital recording interface. After working as a consultant for PreSonus, he eventually joined the company as Chief Technical Officer where he brought the StudioLive digital mixing console to market.

Bob was full of good ideas and it was hard to get him to stop and declare a project "finished." His contributions, style, knowledge, and warm and friendly manner will be missed.

• Members

What a terrible loss. I saw him at PreSonuSphere every year and knew he was having problems, but he seemed in good spirits and good shape last time I saw him. I really thought he was going to beat it...

The thing I remember about Bob was his extremely active mind. I moderated several panels where he was a participant, and he was a moderator's dream panelist...you could throw anything his way and he'd field it, add to it, throw in some humor, and leave a tough act for the next person to follow. Very quick, and also very unaffected.

Like so many people in our industry he flew under the radar of end users, but was well-known to people who were close to companies. He indeed contributed a lot to this industry. Considering how much PreSonus is like a family I'm sure this is very hard for all the people he left behind,

What's also hard is he had a lot left he wanted to contribute, and he had some pretty brilliant ideas for the future. Now it will up to someone else to try and pick up where he left off, but that won't be easy.

Archived