Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Important is MIDI to Your Recordings?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Austin has taken it's toll on me.

I'm strictly organic / non-MIDI these days on my own stuff and most of my customers' stuff. And I mean *everything*. I had a real string quartet in the other day.

Occasionally a client will come in and use my V-Drum set, but honestly it makes me cringe. It's not quite so terrible if they'll let me put up real cymbals and a real snare.

Terry D.
    Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

Its a mix of midi and audio for me with midi also serviing as a platform for control info such as program changes to pass around the system.

Basically, I consider that I have three networks goin on in my little sandbox of a studio:

1) Analog Audio:- line level connections between sound modules, effect units, mixer and recorder.

2)Digital audio: connections to every piece of gear that has digital I/O. I seek to avoid conversions if at all possible.

3) MIDI: patched from the PC/Cubase our a number of sound mudules and my automated mixer/recorder.

All three of these networks get well used for each and every tune I work on. Some using a midi click and some without.

Recently my investments have focused on replacing some often used midi sounds with real instruments. So, Ive bought a few saxes, a bass geetar and some perc. However, because of limitations in my home recording situation, strings, piano, full horn sections, drums and some other items will always be midi generated.

I have also found midi to be a useful tool in creating/arranging.
      Randomly looping some bass tracks has lead me to some useful riffs. Sometimes i scroll through numerous midi sounds while playing the whole arrangement. This is a fun/interactive way to try out alternative voicings for a given midi part.
      FWIW- There are times I find this really useful.

For what I use it for midi "as is" is just fine.
      Psst... Wanna check out some free tunes?
      http://www.broadjam.com/artists/home.php?artistID=3448

Comment

I started using virtual tracks of MIDI with tape sync back into the stone ages (1986)

Then, I started using virtual tracks of MIDI, with early digital audio from the computer, mixing to tape in the mid-1990's

Now, I still use MIDI, but bounce the tracks into digital audio for mixing in the box.

I find myself using less MIDI for drums and percussion, and using more sample assembly. I don't use loops much.
        Music for your busy day.

All the info you need.

Be my friend?

Comment

I like to compose a lot with MIDI hardware, then start moving tracks to soft synths and record them to audio. I also like to play drum parts in using a Roland Handsonic or V-Drums.

Robert
          My friends have big houses and new cars. I own music equipment.

Comment

blue2blue:

"Anyhow, MIDI... it might turn into something some day if they work out the kinks...
            "

----
            That's what I think about digital audio. In many ways, MIDI is a much more powerful technology. Try slowing down a simple drum track in digital audio. In MIDI you can do it with a click of the mouse. There are all sorts of problems if you try it in digital audio. It's easier to just re-record it.

Try changing that guitar track to a flute...or a trombone.

In digital audio? No can do.

With MIDI, it's a cinch.

People don't like MIDI time? Turn off the metronome and play the beat in your own time.

I always feel like I'm constrained and limited working with digital audio. MIDI is liberation.

Digital audio is a necessity for me. I always have to get there eventually. But I'd rather get there using the most powerful & flexible technology available to me. In my experience, that's MIDI.

I wish human beings could sync to a MIDI clock. Maybe in our genetic future, it might be possible.
            He has escaped! Youtube , ‚ÄčMurika , France

Comment

Working...
            X