How Important is MIDI to Your Recordings?

Anderton

• Members

It seems what with virtual instruments, automation, and so on, MIDI is having a bit of a resurgence with software hosts and DAWs. Please indicate which of the poll options comes closest to how MIDI figures into your world.

If you use analog recording, or an all-in-one workstation that may have MIDI inside but it's transparent to the user, choose "Not applicable."

• Members

Seems there is a general attitude floating around some groups of younger musicians that MIDI sucks and that "you can tell" when MIDI is involved.

Seems to me it's like anything else - all music involves a certain skill level to sound natural, smooth, organic, expressive etc., MIDI-driven music no less.

But let's stop beating up MIDI amatuers who lean on MIDI to make up for a lack of chops. Sheesh, it's not a capital offense. MIDI is a great tool. It just needs to be UPDATED to a new standard in the worst way!!! Not just for purposes of greater resolution than 127 steps, etc., but for closer integration with audio clips, and stuff like timing to sample-accurate grids.

MIDI could be so much more than it is that any disputes over it's usefullness or validity would evaporate.

C'mon Craig - who else but you has the pull to get a new MIDI standard hammered out. Anderton speaks and Korg/Yamaha/Roland listen and obey!!!!!

nat whilk ii

• Members

MIDI is crucial for my keyboard-based studio. However, none of the poll choices as I understand them correspond to my way of working. Put simply, most of what I create begins as MIDI and is then tracked to audio, leaving absolutely no live MIDI playback in the tracks that are mixed down.

Depending on the project, some of the tracks may include straightforward tracking of live playing and/or singing. However, it's very rare that I work on something that requires no MIDI at any stage of the project whatsoever.

Craig, do you have a suggestion as to which answer best fits my situation?

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I am using DP for audio recording only. I have a Triton Extreme 88 with built in sequencer. I use that to compose and replay for recordings and performance. I do not like the idea of using a seperate computer to drive the keyboard when performing. Therefore, I never use the DP MIDI features. I suppose if I used it to compose, I could always download the results into the keyboard using standard MIDI for performance, but I have never spent the time to figure out how to do it.

• Members

Because I work with hardware and softsynths I need a midi connection. At times I like to record with midi, then on playback I'll tweek synth pararmeters while the audio is recording. I like midi for the initial mix like instrument numbers, volume and pan positions, saves time, particularly in a live situation.

Steve

• Members

MIDI plays a very important part in Pre Production for me as I build a song and its structure. Once I am satisfied with it, I pass a demo along to my players and they eventually replace the drums, bass and guitars.

I always end up keeping my strings and piano as MIDI because I like the sounds I have. Now that I am using REASON, I foresee lots of samples being used on the drums as well.

MIDI is obviously used to automate many mixes too. After fire and the wheel, MIDI is the next great invention!

• Members

MIDI may have had somewhat of a bad rap as of late, but I couldn't have written my C.D. without it. It's a great tool.

I bought a computer back in 1992, with the intention of just writing charts. I bought a simple notation software, Encore, and its corresponding sequencing software, MasterTracks Pro. I found that I hated the typical way of sequencing drums, and thought that if I notated it first, then imported it into the sequencing program, that I could have more control over the grooves and fills. What I didn

• Members

I use a mix of midi and digital audio. Midi's veeery important to the way I work. I do have a lot of external midi controllers and modules, and I leverage them in the tracking process whenever I appropriate. Only when I've got the whole tune complete do I commit the tracks to digital audio. I don't see any difference to it than why ya track dry rather than commiting effects when tracking - if it's midi, you can always change it (the part or the sound) until everything sits right.

I just picked up 2 more AMT-8's for my Logic set up tonight - bring me up to 32 ports. I guess it's kind of important to me :)

EoS

I can't believe how useful MIDI is today - considering how long ago it was developed. The way it has adapted and been applied to various tasks over the years is really a testament to the vision and farsightedness of the people who made it all happen - Dave Smith et al. See what happens when companies work together? :cool:

I find myself using MIDI a bit less than I did in the 80's... but I still use it for all sorts of different things... from automation to CC control of effects and other devices, and certainly for a lot of keyboard parts and emulations for instruments that I don't have available. But a lot of times, I'd rather have my own audio recordings of a sound source, and audio is really where I'm at overall. But still, MIDI does have its uses for me and I'm happy to have it. I use it when I need it. Just another useful tool in the ol' toolbox. :)

I just wish Pro Tools had an editable MIDI notation display. :(

• Members

MIDI is crucial for my keyboard-based studio. However, none of the poll choices as I understand them correspond to my way of working. Put simply, most of what I create begins as MIDI and is then tracked to audio, leaving absolutely no live MIDI playback in the tracks that are mixed down.

Then I'd say it's definitely a balance of MIDI and digital audio...in fact, the quintessential balance of MIDI and digital audio!

I'm the same way...I like to save MIDI parts as audio to "future proof" the tracks. But I still keep the MIDI tracks around, just in case I need to edit them at some later point.

I'm the same way...I like to save MIDI parts as audio to "future proof" the tracks. But I still keep the MIDI tracks around, just in case I need to edit them at some later point.

Absolutely - me too. If I'm recording a MIDI keyboard part, I'll normally record both audio and MIDI versions simultaneously... that way, if there's just one accidental that's off that I need to fix in an otherwise perfect performance, I can fix that via the MIDI tracks and then re-record the audio, keeping most of the player's original feel and vibe happening. And IMO, it's always nice to have the MIDI tracks available just in case I decide that a different organ patch might be more appropriate for the tune when I'm doing the mixdown. I always hang on to the MIDI tracks, even if I think the audio is fine.

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton:

I'm the same way...I like to save MIDI parts as audio to "future proof" the tracks.

Craig, that's one of the many reasons your archiving article resonated with me. (I'm happy to report, by the way, that Ernie Rideout finally replied to my request to post your article online. He posted, "We'll make sure to make it part of the new content, as soon as possible." :) )

There's an extra advantage of tracking my MIDI performances as audio. It allows me to stop being a performer and put my engineering hat on while I listen back to what I played. Even when tracking soft synths, I often like to run the MIDI parts I played through analog outboard gear to tweak the dynamics and tonal quality.

But I still keep the MIDI tracks around, just in case I need to edit them at some later point.

Same here.

Then I'd say it's definitely a balance of MIDI and digital audio...in fact, the quintessential balance of MIDI and digital audio!

Thanks for your voting guidance, Craig. As a result, I've selected "I use a balance of MIDI and digital audio tracks in my DAW."

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Midi is very important in what I do. When I started out... Cakewalk 3.0 didn't record or deal with audio, so everything was midi driven. What softsynths started coming out most people (myself included) didn't think they sounded that good. I totally gave up on them for years.... when I came back and gave them a listen...wow. So between midi driving my soft synths, some audio of accousitc instruments (like my piano or simple percussion) and an occasional loop.... that's how I write.

Take Care

• Members

"Transparent to the user"

What a great thought!

Of course I am a MIDI ignoramus.... I understand the concept, but my biggest move towards using MIDI was to buy two MIDI cables recently. They are still unopened!

Whenever I have used MIDI in the past, I just hire someone who really, really knows.

The business has changed greatly in the past couple of years. I feel as though now I had better learn a little about MIDI. I have many excellent devices that use MIDI.

i.e. -

An AKAI MPC 3000. I love the drum 'feel' of this machine.

A Big-ass Triton that sounds pretty good.

Do you think an old dog like me can learn MIDI??? I am doing much of my work in own beautiful studio here at home now. I love working this way!!!

What to do???

Brucie the Viking!!!!

• Members

Bruce, I hate to sound self-serving here, but I wrote a book called "MIDI For Musicians" that was designed to take people from knowing nothing to the point where they could at least intimidate salespeople :) I'd send you a copy but I don't have any left except for my own. I think you can find it at Amazon.com and so on...if you do get, then you're entitled to tech support from the author if there's something you don't understand!

And yes, you can definitely learn MIDI!! It's not that tough once you get a few basic concepts down. Go for it!!

• Members

Much of what I do is ...

LIVE GTR's & Vocals ....

Everything else midi.

I've got it down and hardly EVER can anyone tell the difference. I've got em all fooled ... which brings me back to something I learned from Bruce many years ago about "The Illusion of Music."

Russ

Bruce, ask Craig to send you a signed copy of "MIDI For Musicians" - IMO, it's the best overview on the subject available, and it really makes everything easy to understand. Trust me my brother, it's a great, yet easy read, and by the end of it, you'll have all the basics down cold. I highly recommend it! :cool:

Heck, since Craig's out of stock, I can buy you a copy and send it to Craig, who can sign it for you and forward it on to you if you'd like Bruce... (assuming that's cool with Craig... ;) ) I've still got that CD that I promised to send on to you anyway... and all I want in exchange is a signed copy of "Make Mine Music". ;):D

• Members

MIDI is the most amazing technology I have ever played with. I love it. My goal is always to get as much down as possible on MIDI and then add the digital audio tracks before mixdown.

I always try to get a good mix in MIDI before I go to digital audio.

Ideally, my compositions will be 75% 80% MIDI and the rest digital audio.

Unfortunately, lately I'm recording more of the *.wav side and less of the MIDI. And I don't enjoy that part of recording.

MIDI is the language of the Gods.

Digital audio is recording sounds. MIDI is something much more interesting to me.

• Members

I have 2 PCs, one for a sequencer (Usually Sonar, but a lot of Tracktion lately) with DXi / VSTi softsynths, and a second PC that is used only as a midi sound module. The second PC uses both hardware and softsynth sound sources.

I try to do as much as possible in Audio only, but when I need a cello or timpani part, I resort to MIDI. It greatly increases the available instrumentation.

I don't know, a lot of people pick on MIDI, but it's only human to blame the tool if the operator doesn't have the chops to operate it...

Archived